Tuesday, March 19

Waste management district encourages green holiday shopping

Chris Kearns, a supervisor at Monroe County Solid Waste Management's Recycling Center sorts cardboard dropped off by a Monroe County resident  on Sept. 13, 2008 at the Bloomington location. The center is located on South Walnut St., and accepts most material collected by rural pickup in addition to hazardous materials.

With the holiday season upon the community, the Monroe County Indiana Solid Waste Management District released a set of tips on green giving and questions to keep in mind when thinking of waste management.

Elisa K. Pokral, media and education director for the district, said in the release there are many ways to green up giving.

“Be still for a moment and think — no waste and green giving please!” Pokral said in the release. “Then repeat it to yourself when you’re ready to buy.”

The Monroe County Solid Waste Management District’s mission is to secure a healthier environment in south-central Indiana by eliminating waste going to final disposal through a reduction, reuse and recovery of materials, according to the release.

The first tip is to consider what gifts people really want and need. There is nothing wrong with impulse or inspirational buys if they are actually useful and appreciated.

The second tip asks if what is being bought is packaged responsibly. This means is it over packaged with needless and expensive packaging. It asks if it is reusable or recyclable packaging.

The other questions the district encourages shoppers to ask themselves while shopping include making sure the gift will be something that lasts, and if the companies you are supporting promote sustainability.

The district encourages shoppers to not rush and think about purchases and their effect on greening up giving in the holiday season, according to the release.

Katelyn Haas