sports men's soccer

Three Hoosiers earn all-region honors

spiums

Three IU men’s soccer players were named to the National Soccer Coaches of America Midwest All-Region team Tuesday.

Senior midfielder Tanner Thompson and junior defender Grant Lillard were both named to the All-Midwest Region first team. Sophomore defender Andrew Gutman was named to the All-Midwest Region third team.

The awards keep coming for Thompson. He is now a three-time first-team All Midwest Region and All-Big Ten selection in his career. He adds that to earning back-to-back Big Ten Midfielder of the Year awards. Thompson scored eight goals on the season to lead the Hoosiers. He is also a semifinalist for the MAC Hermann award given to the top college soccer player in the country. That award will be announced in the 
coming weeks.

Lillard is now a two-time first-team All-Big Ten and All-Midwest Region selection. He was a large part of IU posting 11 clean sheets in 2016 and was a staple at center back in IU’s backline in 2016. Lillard also netted three goals.

This was Gutman’s first season appearing as an All-Big Ten or All-Midwest Region selection. This season he earned a second-team All-Big Ten and third-team All-Midwest Region. The sophomore left back caused havoc all season long for opposing teams by skirting the left touchline. He was an integral part of IU’s attack along with helping out on the backline.