COLUMN: Remember what's important this holiday season

The National Retail Federation believes this year Americans will spend over $650 billion during the holiday season in 2016. Billion. With a B.

This number is supposedly a good indicator for the market as a whole, because spending is up about 10 percent from last year’s total.

Though this may mean our economy is doing well, it saddens me that we’ve commercialized the holidays to this degree. Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday, but this year it felt more like Black Friday Eve than a standalone 
celebration.

More and more stores began their Black Friday deals Thanksgiving night rather than wait until the morning. The owners of these stores have a right to be open whenever they want, but I’m disappointed so many Americans would rather buy a new toaster than spend the evening with their 
families.

I know not everyone has a family to go home to, and others have difficult circumstances that prevent them from heading home for the holidays.

But for every person like that, many others make the conscious decision to head to the mall rather than their parents’ house.

Looking ahead toward the coming holiday season, I know the National Retail Federation is right. People, myself included, will spend tons of money on gifts and food during Christmastime.

I love the act of gift-giving during Christmas. Of course it’s fun to give and receive presents with those we care about. I would never want to remove that part of the holidays, but maybe we can scale it back a bit.

We’re taking days meant to champion family, togetherness, and — most importantly — food, and making them about possessions.

Focusing on the material aspects of the upcoming holiday season will never lead to more happiness, only expectations that may or may not 
be met.

Whatever it is you celebrate during the winter holidays, I implore you to think less about the “what” and more about the “who” and the “why.” This upcoming break from school is so great because it gives us a chance to see people we don’t get to visit as often anymore.

If we spend all break wondering what awaits us under the Christmas tree, we’re going to miss out on the real value of the season. And no one likes that one cousin who just whines about their Christmas gift all month. Don’t be that cousin.

It would be ridiculous to boycott Christmas gifts or look down on everyone who spends a lot of money this time of year.

Most of that spending is in gifts for others and it comes from a good place. But we’re continually making the holidays about possessions rather than the people we share them with.

This year, be thankful for people. Be thankful for parents who love us and gave us the opportunity to attend this school.

Be thankful for friends who support and love us no matter what. And yes, be thankful for that uncle who shares his weird political views at family functions. He needs your love the most.