IU football gives out team awards at banquet

Senior lineman Dan Feeney greets his teammates as he joins warmups on Saturday before IU's game against Northwestern at Ryan Field.

IU football hosted its annual awards banquet Friday, honoring the achievements of its student-athletes both on and off the field in 2016.

The winners of each award are listed below:

Hoosier Iron Award (Outstanding Weight Room Performance): Junior defensive lineman Nate Hoff and sophomore wide receiver Nick Westbrook.

Offensive Newcomer of the Year: Junior quarterback Richard Lagow. The JUCO transfer threw for 3,174 yards, 18 touchdowns and 16 interceptions, completing 59.9 percent of his passes. 

Defensive Newcomer of the Year: Freshman husky Marcelino Ball. Ball finished his first regular season in Bloomington with 73 tackles (4.5 for loss), two interceptions and a fumble recovery. 

Ted Whereatt "Senior Academic Excellence" Award: Junior defensive back Arthur Jones. After redshirting in 2013, Jones earned Academic All-Big Ten honors in 2014, 2015 and 2016. He is also a December 2016 mid-year graduate. 

Ted Verlihay "Mental Attitude" Award: Senior wide receiver Mitchell Paige. Paige won the Howard Brown "Dedication to IU Football" Award in 2015. 

Corby Davis Memorial Award (Outstanding Back): Junior running back Devine Redding. Redding has amassed 1,050 yards on a 4.4 yard-per-carry average in 2016, reaching the end zone six times. The Ohio native also has 27 receptions for 146 yards and two touchdowns out of the backfield. 

Howard Brown "Dedication to IU Football" Award: Senior offensive lineman Jacob Bailey. Bailey has seven starts in 11 appearances in 2016, and earned his fourth-straight Academic All-Big Ten selection.

Chris Dal Sasso Award (Outstanding Lineman): Senior offensive lineman Dan Feeney. Feeney started at both right tackle and right guard, missing some time due to a concussion, and earned his second straight All-America honor.

Harold Mauro "Loyalty to IU Football" Award: Senior defensive lineman Ralph Green III registered 29 tackles (7.5 for loss), one sack and two pass breakups. 

Terry P. Cole Award (Old Oaken Bucket Game MVP): Sophomore safety Jonathan Crawford. Crawford totaled three tackles, two interceptions and a fumble recovery in IU's season-finale victory over Purdue.

Offensive Scout Team Players of the Year: Freshman quarterback Peyton Ramsey and sophomore tight end Ryan Watercutter.

Defensive Scout Team Player of the Year: Freshman defensive back Johnny Albomonte.

Outstanding Walk-On Player of the Year: Sophomore wide receiver Luke Timian. Timian caught 19 balls for 277 yards and a touchdown in 12 games.

Special Teams Player of the Year: Senior Ricky Jones was a consistent presence on kick coverage for the Hoosiers, and even blocked a punt against Northwestern.

Defensive Teammates of the Year: Junior cornerback Rashard Fant and junior linebacker Marcus Oliver.

Offensive Teammate of the Year: Devine Redding.

Anthony Thompson Most Valuable Players: Dan Feeney and junior linebacker Tegray Scales. Feeney's importance to the offensive line was felt both when he was on the field and in his absence from it while he recovered from his concussion. Scales led IU with 116 tackles, 20.5 tackles for loss and five sacks, also recording one interception. 

Team Captains: Dan Feeney, Ricky Jones, Marcus Oliver, Mitchell Paige, Tegray Scales

Jordan Guskey