City ordinance encourages snow removal

caSnowStorm

As the temperature drops, the Bloomington Housing and Neighborhood Development Department is encouraging Bloomington residents to keep sidewalks and ramps clear of snow and ice.

Bloomington Communications Director Mary Catherine Carmichael said in a Dec. 9 press release HAND wants to make sure residents are aware of the ordinance and the fines to which someone could be liable if they do not clear their sidewalks.

“Not complying with this ordinance could result in significant injuries to pedestrians commuting throughout the community and potential fines for property owners,” Carmichael said in the press 
release.

While the City of Bloomington’s Street Department is responsible for the streets of the city, owners are responsible for their own property.

If sidewalks and ramps are not cleared within 24 hours of snow or ice fall, property owners are liable to receive a fine.

“It shall be the duty of every owner of any premises abutting a sidewalk in all parts of the city to remove, or cause to be removed, all snow and ice from the sidewalk,” according to the City of Bloomington municipal code, chapter six.

The monetary fines are incremental throughout the winter, according to the release.

The first fine is $50, the second is $100 and all fines after are $150 each.

HAND will start its enforcement of the ordinance in the downtown snow removal area and around Bloomington schools.

The amount of space which has to be clear for pedestrians in the downtown snow removal area is the width of the sidewalk or a path less than 54 inches.

A few tips for those who will be shoveling or clearing snow were also included in the recent press release.

Residents are encouraged to break away heavy ice or snow with an ice chipper or straight-edged hoe so as not to damage the sidewalk, according to the press release. Those clearing the sidewalks should also consider laying a layer of salt down first to improve traction and 
remove some ice.

HAND recommended in the press release if any residents are leaving Bloomington or are unable to clear their own sidewalks, they find help or plan for someone else to handle snow removal 
for them.

Residents who want to learn more about the snow removal ordinance for, they are encouraged to call HAND at 812-349-3420 to receive clarification or additional information.