weekend

Uncovering Bloomington: Cultural centers provide students with support

After the results of the 2016 election, many people are scared. Really, really scared, and I can’t say I blame them.

You can’t unhear comments made out of hate for entire groups of people — minorities, the disabled, immigrants, women — and when those comments are made by the new leader of the United States, the fear sets in.

But we can’t let ourselves be paralyzed by fear. We have to move forward and find those who support us, what we believe in and those we love.

As we come to terms with the election, some will celebrate a victory while others will mourn great loss, but we must seek out the institutions that do exist to uplift and help those that are discriminated against.

And this campus and the City of Bloomington have many to offer. These places haven’t gone away.

Through these places and so many others, we can talk to those who feel alone or terrified, even if we feel this way ourselves.

The GLBT Student Support Services is a resource to those on campus who identify as LGBTQ+ and to those who want to gain insight and understanding. The office is located at 705 E. Seventh St. and the website can serve as a helpful resource.

La Casa is the Latino Cultural Center on campus and offers support and raises awareness about Latino cultures on campus. The website stresses that the doors of the center are open to everyone, regardless of demographics. Located at 715 E. Seventh St., La Casa puts on various events throughout the year and open to everyone for participation.

Likewise, there is the Asian Culture Center located at 807 E. 10th St. On the website, you can learn about the centers various endeavors, those most important being to raise cultural awareness and bring communities together.

The Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center is another similar establishment for students. The center seeks to educate and engage with the community while serving as a resource for black students, faculty and staff. You can find more information on the website or at 275 N. Jordan Ave.

IU also has Culture of Care, an organization dedicated to educating students and staff on sexual well-being and mental health, among other initiatives. Its website — care.indiana.edu — is a good resource for those seeking more information. Most importantly, this group seeks to encourage respect for others.

If you are feeling scared, nervous or just need someone to talk to, remember these resources and the many others that IU offers. This column was created to show you Bloomington is a beautiful place, and these are some hidden gems that should not be forgotten either.

For more places, go to diversity.iu.edu or the various other campus resources.

allmwagn@indiana.edu

@allisonmwagner