academics & research

IU to offer joint master's degree with Australian National University

Campus filler image

IU will offer a dual-degree master’s program with the Australian National University in arts administration and museum and heritage studies, according to a Nov. 10 press release.

Students from both universities can begin studying these areas of cultural administration in fall 2017.

While in the program, students will spend one academic year at either IU or ANU and the following year at the other university.

The degree will give students at both institutions international experiences, increased cultural awareness and internship and study opportunities, according to the release.

Graduates from the program will receive both a Master of Arts Administration degree from the IU School of Public and Environmental Affairs and a Master of Museum and Heritage Studies from the College of Arts and Social Sciences at ANU.

At IU, students will gain knowledge and skills in business, marketing and management. At ANU, students will study curatorship and collections management and be introduced to areas such as social inclusion, citizenship and community engagement, according to the release.

ANU is located in Canberra, the national capital. It has the largest concentration of museums and cultural institutions, according to the release.

“Australian students will have the opportunity to augment their qualifications in museums and collections with a degree in arts administration, while students from Indiana will be able to add museum and heritage studies to their arts administration qualifications,” ANU Vice-Chancellor Brian Schmidt said in the release.

IU and ANU have collaborated numerous times in the past. One example is the ANU-IU Pan Asia Institute, which is based in the School of Global and International Studies. Founded in 2010, the institute brings together scholars and students from both institutions to discuss their mutual interests in Asia.

ANU and IU’s Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute and ANU’s National Security College and IU’s Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research have also collaborated in the past.

“Together, we share a deep commitment to education of the highest quality,” IU President Michael McRobbie said in the release.

McRobbie received his Ph.D. in logic from ANU in 1979. He also received an honorary doctorate in 2010.

“Since the early 1990s, Indiana University and the Australian National University have had a strong partnership, which each of us has worked to strengthen and broaden in recent years,” McRobbie said in the release.

Laurel Demkovich