COLUMN: IU has to step up its game against No. 10 Penn State

spiufb

IU faces its toughest home test of the season Saturday against Penn State. Here are five areas where the Hoosiers need to be successful if they are to pull off the upset.

Run the ball effectively

It is going to be tough sledding for IU against Penn State’s rush defense. According to Football Study Hall, the Nittany Lions have the 17th best rushing defense in the country, and the Hoosiers have the 93rd best rushing offense.

However, Penn State is susceptible to big plays on the ground.

That’s where junior quarterback Zander Diamont comes in. His greatest asset for the Hoosiers has been his ability to break long runs, and IU is going to need one of those from him and effective carries on early downs to help junior quarterback Richard Lagow succeed.

Efficient performance from Lagow

Penn State’s defense is multifaceted, but its best feature is its pass defense. According to Football Study Hall, the Nittany Lions have the 14th best pass defense in the country. Lagow has struggled with consistency this season and will have his work cut out for him.

He needs to be able to bounce back from any mistakes and deliver on critical throws if IU’s going to win. He doesn’t need to be perfect, but he can’t waste multiple scoring opportunities.

Don’t give up the big play

IU’s defense has to force Penn State to go on long drives. Penn State brings the nation’s 11th most explosive offense, according to Football Study Hall, and IU’s defense ranks 78th in explosive offense.

However, the Nittany Lions are ranked 80th in efficiency. If IU can limit its amount of broken plays and keep everything in front them, Penn State may bog down and fail in attempts to sustain long drives.

Sack the quarterback

Junior quarterback Trace McSorley has been a revelation so far behind center for the Nittany Lions. This season he’s passed for 2,058 yards and 14 touchdowns, and he’s rushed for 410 yards and 5 scores.

According to Football Study Hall, Penn State’s passing attack is the fifth best in the country.

However, McSorley has been sacked 17 times this season, 10 of them coming in Penn State’s two losses. That could be the product of the tendency for scrambling quarterbacks to run themselves into trouble in attempts to avoid an initial sack attempt on a play. If so, the Hoosiers need to contain the pocket and shut off escape routes.

Against two of the most scramble-prone quarterbacks — Ohio State’s J.T. Barrett and Nebraska’s Tommy Armstrong — in the Big Ten, IU wasn’t able to do so and lost.

Special teams can’t be a disaster

Against a top-10 opponent, an underdog has to make up yards and points somewhere. At this point in the season, IU’s special teams have been cataclysmic. The Hoosiers have reliable punting and punt return units but have greatly lacked in the field goal department this season.

IU needs the latter to find confidence again against Penn State.