Kevin Wilson sheds light on his musical past and analyzes IU's contest against Northwestern

spIUFB

IU dropped below .500 for the first time this season after the 24-14 loss at Northwestern. In the lead-up to Saturday’s contest against Maryland, IU Coach Kevin Wilson updated the media on the current status of the program.

Dan Feeney

IU’s senior right guard returned to action for the Hoosier offensive line against the Wildcats on Saturday. Feeney didn’t play the whole game, but did take his first step toward getting back to full strength after missing an extended period of time.

“When you come off a concussion, he’s got five weeks to stand around lightly jogging,” Wilson said. “It’s not a good formula to come out and play good. He’s got a long way to go to get his play back to the way he’s capable of.”

Wilson thought Feeney’s presence helped aid a run game that has struggled in recent weeks. IU still only managed 84 yards on the ground but had a few more carries for double-digit yardage.

It’s Feeney’s presence as a leader on the team at practice, in the locker room and on the field during games that Wilson said he values the most.

Wilson did give his views on the easiness of the guard position again. Anyone can play guard, and if you can’t do that you pick up an instrument, Wilson said.

“No disrespect to the band. I was in the band, too,” Wilson said. “I don’t want to get the band guys mad. I played the trumpet and the sousaphone, and I played that so I could get out of elementary fifth grade and one hour to go and sit and listen to the teacher. So everybody volunteered for band so you didn’t have to sit and pay attention to social studies. You got an hour out a couple days a week.”

Offensive letdown

IU failed to get the running game up to what was expected at the beginning of the year again this past weekendJunior quarterback Richard Lagow struggled, too. As a result the Hoosier offense only amassed 12 points. Two of IU’s points came on a safety.

Wilson attributes the struggles in the passing game to an inability to run the ball.

“Again, it’s all protection. Again, it goes to the run game,” Wilson said. “When you’re one-dimensional running, it’s easy to tee off on the quarterback, it’s easy to rush in the pocket. To me, it all goes back to the line of scrimmage play, tight end play, running back play.”

A balanced Northwestern offense in the first half collected nearly 400 yards of total offense. However, in the second half when IU’s defense controlled the line of scrimmage, the Wildcats’ offense didn’t even break 50.

Bouncing back

IU went into halftime against Northwestern down 21 points, but Wilson said he didn’t think his Hoosiers were out of the game; rather, they were just in need of a few plays to get the mojo back.

“I don’t understand how many leads are safe, just the way the game’s managed, all the spread offense, all the open field, the ebb and flow of games,” Wilson said. “You get a little too big for your britches and quit playing hard. If you just keep playing hard, you’ve got a chance. There’s a lot of football to be played.”

Heading into IU’s home matchup against Maryland, Wilson said he is looking for better execution from the opening kick from his offense and defense.

The defense showed up in the second half but got rattled early and let Northwestern off the hook with three dropped interceptions. The offense showed flashes of what could be, but struggled to score.

“We just didn’t find the end zone,” Wilson said. “We’ve just got to find ways to get across the g-line and score some touchdowns.”