Tips from an interior design major

With bedding from Target, a homemade pillow and tapestry from Urban Outfitters, Gardetto gives a cozy feel to where she sleeps. A rug from World Market brings together the entire area.

Moving to college is a big and sometimes scary transition, and the drab white walls of a dorm room can leave many students feeling cramped and uninspired.

Kylie Gardetto, a senior studying interior design, said functionality should come first while shopping for room items. Desk organizers, cute storage bins and a Keurig are a few of the items she named as functional essentials.

Aside from the essentials, Gardetto said more personalized decorations like tapestries, framed photos, Christmas lights and cherished items are what will make a room feel like home.

Students usually gain more freedom by moving out of their dorms for sophomore year, but filling the blank space of a new apartment or house is often a daunting task.

As an aspiring interior designer who wants to work for Urban Outfitters’ home line, Gardetto said she loved decorating her apartment this year and used framed photos, rugs, blankets and large pillows to make her space feel warmer.

Kitchen chalkboards are one increasingly popular way for college students to personalize their living spaces, and encouraging guests to leave a message or sign their name is great for creating lasting memories in a space.

Gardetto said small plants like succulents and aloe are in right now, and she has several of her own decorating her apartment.

“Plants can elevate the space and make everything feel more homey,” Gardetto said.

Though decorations may be the most fun part of setting up a new living space, functional essentials should come first.

“Focus on where you’ll spend most of your time, like your bed or desk, and start there,” Gardetto said.

It’s easy to get carried away imagining the possibilities for decorating a living space, but tight budgets are a reality many college students have to deal with.

Fortunately, there are plenty of stores the determined decorator can go to find items they like that won’t break the bank.

“Target is always my go-to,” Gardetto said. “It’s trendy, cute and affordable.”

T.J. Maxx and Marshall’s are good places to find trinkets, and Gardetto named Society6, a website where artists sell their work, as a great place to order personalized items like coffee cups, pillows and laptop cases.

Gardetto said students who are interested in do-it-yourself projects should also check out Goodwill for cheaper items that can be refurbished.

“I bought an old mid-century style dresser, which is very in right now, for $20,” Gardetto said. “I sanded and painted it then bought new handles, and it’s stunning.”