politics

Three way auditor race raises ethics questions

Region filler image

Three vastly different candidates will face off Nov. 8 for the Monroe County auditor position.

After Democrat Steve Saulter resigned as auditor in June, independent candidate Therese Chambers took over as interim auditor. She is now running for the full-time position against Ann Boehm, the Republican candidate, and Cathy Smith, the Democratic candidate.

Boehm said as the only candidate with real finance and accounting experience, she is the best choice for 
auditor.

Boehm previously worked in the auditor’s office as a financial claims representative for four months before she was fired wrongfully, she said. Boehm said she found evidence Saulter was using county credit cards for personal use, and she was going to report him; however, she was fired before she could turn him in.

Boehm said during her time in the office, she witnessed inefficiencies that were costing the taxpayers. By cross-training employees and realigning duties, these inefficiencies can be eliminated, she said.

For example, government offices were paying for cleaning services, which included cleaning supplies. However, some of the employees did not like the cleaning supplies the service used, so they purchased their own using government funds, Boehm said.

She said this is not fraudulent but clearly unnecessary spending.

Unlike her opponents, Boehm said she is the only candidate who understands the financial side and wants the office to move forward.

“I can affect real change,” Boehm said.

Chambers said because she has 25 years of experience in county government and currently serves as the interim auditor, she stands apart from her opponents.

Chambers backed Terri Porter in the Democratic primary for auditor, but after Smith won the nomination, Chambers said she promised herself she would run in her place as an independent. However, running without the Democratic Party’s support is difficult, she said.

“It’s been stressful,” Chambers said. “People from the party can’t publicly support me.”

Chambers’ fliers say “A Democrat at heart serving you independently.” With experience as chief deputy auditor and interim auditor, Chambers said she understands the position better than her opponents and knows how to rebuild trust between the citizens and the auditor’s office.

Chambers said as interim auditor she has already started to place files and data on a shared drive that will allow for checks and balances. If elected auditor, she said she will continue to build on the system and cross train 
employees.

Because Chambers served as chief deputy under the two auditors charged with crimes, Chambers’ ethics have been questioned. However, she said she had no idea what was going on with the credit card fraud under Democrats Amy Gerstman and Saulter.

“Everyone tries to drag me in on it,” Chambers said. “I know in my heart of hearts that I have nothing to do 
with it.”

Chambers said those who know her know her character and that she would never lie or steal from the county.

“I’m a lifelong Bloomington resident,” Chambers said. “I’m very grateful and respectful of the county.”

Smith, who is serving her last term as treasurer, said she would like to see the auditor’s and treasurer’s offices work together on good terms, which has not happened 
previously.

“I don’t like fussing and fighting,” Smith said.

Smith said she would also put a stop to firing employees without cause and due process. She said she has never fired anyone because these measures do not generally need to be taken. Coaching and mentoring can solve most employee issues, 
she said.

Chambers has worked in the auditor’s office for more than seven years and served as chief deputy auditor since 2011, so Smith said she questions what change she can bring to the office that she has not done already. Smith said Chambers is difficult to work with and not fit for 
the job.

“I don’t want to say anything, but she’s got issues,” Smith said.

At the end of the day, Smith said she lives her life frugally and rides her bike covered in her campaign signs everywhere. She will do the same with Monroe County.

“I don’t waste my money, and I won’t waste the taxpayers’,” Smith said.