Rashida Jones speaks about porn, media

Campus filler image

Rashida Jones, actress from the TV show “Parks and Recreation,” spoke to a Media 101 class Thursday about a topic usually left unaddressed: pornography.

Jones produced a documentary titled “Hot Girls Wanted” that focuses on amateurs entering the porn industry. IU Professor Bryant Paul also produced the film, and directors Jill Bauer and Ronna Gradus visited IU to speak about the film last semester.

“We know so little about porn, but it’s so prevalent in every way, and so many people watch it,” Jones said.

“Hot Girls Wanted” premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in 2015 and focuses on amateurs entering the porn industry. Jones became involved with the project when she met Bauer and Gradus at a women’s summit. She helped edit and compose the movie and then, at Sundance, helped sell the movie to Netflix.

“We’re obsessed with this, and whether we like it or not, it’s kind of the work we’re doing,” Jones said. “We’re interested in the relationship between media and sex and porn culture.”

Jones said that the “Hot Girls Wanted” team is also interested in how these relationships affect dating culture and campus culture, and how quickly these cultures are changing.

“The more that things continue to evolve at this pace, the more interested we become in it,” Jones said. “We want everyone to have access to as much information as possible.”

Paul said that data about internet use shows greater accessibility to explicit material.

“One of the main differences between now and 15 or 20 years ago is exposure to sexually explicit material online,” Paul said. “It depicts these things incorrectly, and sometimes dangerously.”

The team also worked to figure out how to start a discussion about the porn industry and how to let people know that the three women in the movie aren’t the only ones affected, Bauer said.

“People talk about everything, but they don’t talk about porn,” Bauer said.

Later in the discussion, Paul asked Jones, Bauer and Gradus what advice they have for students at this stage in their lives.

“Study all kinds of things, be curious about everything,” Jones said. “Everything I read informs what I make. I never thought I would produce documentaries. I always had strong opinions about cultural things, but a whole new world opened up to me, and I think it was because I didn’t box myself in.”

Bauer said that Jones, Gradus and Paul are some of the most curious people she’s ever met, and that it’s part of their success.

“It’s just the thing that will take you so far,” Bauer said. “As long as you continue to be curious about everything, you’ll find yourself working on things that are really worthwhile.”

Jones also said that finding two things you’re really good at is a big part of being successful.

“Just be the best,” Jones said. “If you’re the best at what you do, the other stuff will fall into place.”