Potential volunteers needed as child advocates

Region filler image

In order to reach as many potential volunteers as possible, Monroe County Court Appointed Special Advocates is having a Coffee with CASA event and inviting the entire community to join.

From 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. Nov. 15, potential volunteers are encouraged to come to the Monroe County CASA office to talk to current CASA volunteers and learn more about what it is like to advocate for a child, according to a Monroe County CASA press release.

Monroe County CASA is a volunteer-powered program which provides representation in juvenile court for child victims of physical abuse, sexual abuse and neglect, according to the release.

The program recruits, screens, trains and supervises adult community members who volunteer their time to serve as Court Appointed Special Advocates, with full legal authority set forth by the State of Indiana.

Requirements to become a CASA volunteer include being at least 21 years old or older, committing to one to two years of service after training completion, having a valid driver’s license, having access to transportation and being able to travel to surrounding counties if needed, among others.

Volunteers must attend a 33-hour training before becoming an advocate, according to the Monroe County CASA website.

CASA volunteers provide advocacy for child victims to ensure they remain at the forefront of the court proceedings and find a safe, permanent home as quickly as possible, according to the release.

In 2015, Monroe County CASAs helped 454 children find a way out of abuse and neglect, according to the 
website.

Child advocates have been assigned to more than 500 children in the Bloomington and Monroe County community this year, and more are still waiting for an advocate.

In Monroe County, the CASA program was established in 1983 through the efforts of 13 local individuals, according to the release.

The program was launched with a grant from the American Bar Association/Indiana Law and Child Protection Project and with contributions of goods and services from Family Service Association, Legal Services Organization, private attorneys, the South Central Community Mental Health Center and the City of Bloomington.