Local food pantry encourages advocacy

Victor Hamel dug up a carrot in the garden outside Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard.

The smell of hot cider and pies wafted out from Mother Hubbard’s Cupboard on Saturday. Six-year-old Victor Hamel played in the garden while Bloomington locals learned about healthy food options and community 
orchards.

Adam Hamel, Victor’s father, said he wanted his son to be aware of all the resources in the community as he 
grows up.

“Mother Hubbard’s is an important resource,” Hamel said. “We try to come out to these events as often as we can.”

Mother Hubbard’s, a local food pantry, had their annual Food Day Celebration on Saturday, and more than 40 members of the Bloomington community came to enjoy the cider, pie potluck and 
conversation.

Stephanie Solomon, the director of education and outreach for Mother Hubbard’s, said the event is changing but their goal is still about improving the food system and encouraging advocacy for healthier food and lifestyles.

“It has looked very different from year to year,” Solomon said. “We want a better food system.”

Mother Hubbard’s has also been working with the Bloomington Food Council and their chairman, Ryan Conway for three years now.

Conway said the Food Council is devoted to developing a healthier food system and to eliminate what he calls “food deserts” that exist in Bloomington. Food deserts are determined by the distance from nutritious food.

“We’re now developing a food action plan,” 
Conway said.

The event serves to educate people and equip them to help create a better food system, Conway said.

“I think it’s very empowering to the people of Bloomington,” Conway said. “It provides hands-on skills.”

The event was not just for adults but also for youth in the community. The Monroe County Youth Council was there to help educate children on some of the same concerns in different ways.

Shay Upadhyay, a junior at Bloomington South High School and three-year member of MCYC, said the event was new for the council but a good way to gain what she called “developmental assets.”

“Today is a little bit unique,” Upadhyay said. “I’m really excited to be here.”

These developmental assets include learning more about healthy food and being aware of resources in the community that can help children live a healthier 
lifestyle.

Dane Kirchoff-Foster, an intern at Mother Hubbard’s and an IU student, said it will be an uphill battle in changing the food system for the better. He said food pantries only meet immediate needs but that Mother Hubbard’s is working to change how it functions.

“Food pantries are kind of like a band-aid,” Kirchoff-Foster said.

Mother Hubbard’s is devoted to community building and Kirchoff-Foster said they want to provide resources like shelter as well.

“Our patrons have needs which go beyond food,” Kirchoff-Foster said. “We want to do more than hand out dented cans of food.”

Starting next week Mother Hubbard’s will be doing what is called bill tracking for new laws. Bill tracking will involve keeping track of food security and other bills as they go move to become law in state or federal government.

Kirchoff-Foster said the pantry will then advocate and encourage others to advocate for those bills which will help their patrons, he said. He also said he finds the progress Mother Hubbard’s has made remarkable.

“They’re constantly improving,” Kirchoff-Foster said. “I’m kind of inspired by what they’re doing here.”

Upadhyay said the event and the food pantry as a whole are both important in educating children in better food and a better lifestyle.

“Healthy food leads to a healthy lifestyle,” 
Upadhyay said.