crime & courts

Jared Fogle's ex-wife sues Subway

Jared Fogle leaves the federal courthouse in Indianapolis after his hearing on Wednesday. Fogle plead guilty to charges of distributing child pornography and paying for and engaging in sex acts with minors.

Jared Fogle’s ex-wife Katie McLaughlin filed a lawsuit against Subway on Monday and accused the franchise of ignoring information about Fogle’s inappropriate statements and behavior regarding 
children.

Fogle plead guilty last August to distributing child pornography and paying for and engaging in sex acts with minors. He was sentenced to 15 years and eight months by Judge Tanya Walton Pratt. Fogle was also ordered to pay $100,000 in restitution to his victims.

“On at least three occasions during Jared’s tenure with Subway, Subway received reports regarding Jared’s sexual interest in children,” attorneys wrote in the lawsuit. “With two of those reports, Subway responded by sending a public relations employee to ask Jared about the allegations. With the third 
report, Subway admitted the complaint was ‘not properly escalated or acted upon.’ Upon information and belief, Subway did not report any of the allegations to law enforcement.”

The lawsuit claimed Subway sent a public relations employee to ask Fogle about the allegations and did not pursue the matter further. The lawsuit also said Subway franchisee Cindy Mills contacted then-CEO Jeff Moody with complaints about Fogle. She said Fogle told her he “liked them young” and he suggested she “prostitute herself.”

According to the lawsuit, Moody asked Mills to say nothing else and said Fogle had “met someone” who would “keep him grounded.” The lawsuit said Mills was referring to McLaughlin when using the word “someone.”

McLaughlin is suing for unspecified damages against her and her and Fogle’s children after Subway used animated likenesses of them in a commercial without permission. The lawsuit argues that if Subway had contacted law enforcement when confronted with Fogle’s alleged behavior, McLaughlin and her children would not have been part of Subway’s campaign that marketed Fogle as a family man and allegedly used their likenesses without consent.