academics & research

IU alumnus and wife give $7.7 million to law school

Campus filler image

An IU alumnus and his wife have given a $7.7 million gift to endow the Maurer School of Law’s Center on the Global Legal Profession and a professorship.

The gift from IU alumnus Milt Stewart and his wife, Judi, will be used to support different student activities.

These activities will include global opportunities, research and outreach activities, and partnerships with schools around the world.

The center will be renamed the Milt and Judi Stewart Center on the Global Legal Profession.

The Milt and Judi Stewart Professor of Law professorship will be given to the center’s director once the gift’s proceeds are distributed.

The gift is a small way to repay the school for his success, Milt said in the release.

“Judi and I are delighted to make this gift to the center,” Milt said. “My law school education made it possible for me to have a successful and rewarding practice in the global legal profession.”

The Stewart Fellows global externship program is offered through the Center on the Global Legal Profession.

Since 2010, it has funded more than 100 students’ summer externships.

“Milt and Judi have long been visionary supporters of Indiana University,” IU Foundation President Dan Smith said in the release. “Their most recent transformational gift will create new opportunities for students to become citizens of the world and, in the process, help the Maurer School of Law and the University further extend its global impact.”

Milt is currently vice chairman of the IU Foundation board of directors. He and Judi are also members of the IU Eskenazi Museum of Art advisory board.

The Center on the Global Legal Profession was established in 2009.

The goal of the center is to advance knowledge on the global legal profession, provide students with hands-on learning experiences and build global partnerships with law schools, according to the release.