Indiana to receive $900 thousand in car company settlement

A multi-state investigation into the business practices of Hyundai Motor Company, Hyundai Motor America, KIA Motors Corporation, Inc. and KIA Motors America, Inc. culminated in a $961,753.73 settlement for Indiana.

The money is to resolve allegations of state consumer protection law violations, according to a press release from Attorney General Greg Zoeller’s office.

In November 2012, Hyundai and Kia announced they were adjusting the fuel economy ratings for certain vehicles manufactured in 2011, 2012 and 2013.

“The auto companies were taking advantage of high gas prices, preying on customers who were looking for fuel-efficient vehicles by promoting inaccurate fuel economy ratings, which does not uphold the standards of Indiana’s consumer protection laws,” Zoeller said in the press release.

State and federal laws set restrictions on emissions from vehicles sold in the U.S. Auto manufacturers must conduct testing under specific protocols set by government regulators and use that data to show their vehicles conform to the state and federal standards.

The states alleged that the car companies took inaccurate, inflated data and used it for the window stickers that display a car’s estimated gas mileage. The states also posited the car companies used inaccurate data as focal points of various advertisements and promotional 
campaigns.

The settlement was $41.2 million and was split between Washington D.C. and 33 states. Three and half million dollars from the car companies has already been distributed to Indiana consumers as restitution for the companies’ false advertising.

“This settlement is a win for the consumer,” 
Zoeller said.