sports baseball

Hoosier baseball announces 2017 schedule

Junior second baseman Tony Butler cheers as senior shortstop Brian Wilhite slides into home in the second game against Northwestern Apr. 29, 2016. IU came from behind in the last two innings to win 4-3

IU Coach Chris Lemonis announced the 2017 Hoosier baseball schedule Thursday afternoon.

Highlights of the schedule include 19 games against teams that made the NCAA tournament a year ago, 28 games against teams that had an RPI of 75 or better and conference home series against Nebraska, Minnesota, Maryland and Penn State.

IU will also travel to Purdue for the first time since 2011 to play a three-game series against the Boilermakers on April 7-9.

IU opens up the season with four games in Arizona starting Feb. 17 against the Gonzaga Bulldogs. IU will play Gonzaga twice and Duke once before a matinee against Oregon State on Feb. 20.

Lemonis’ squad will travel to Florida the following weekend for a three-game set against Florida Atlantic on Feb. 24-26. IU will also have road trips to Cincinnati and Birmingham, Alabama, to face Samford in early March for a three-game series. IU will also play at Evansville on March 7.

IU has its first home stand against Middle Tennessee State on March 10-12 and heads to Honolulu to play Hawaii in a four-game series during spring break.

IU begins Big Ten play at Northwestern on March 24-26 and will welcome Nebraska for its first conference home series from March 31 to April 2.

Other notable games include a matchup at Victory Field in Indianapolis against Ball State on April 25 and a road game at Kentucky on May 9.

The home conference season will come to a close with the final Big Ten series May 12-14 against Penn State, and the final home game will be against Louisville on May 16. IU will end the regular season with a trip to Columbus, Ohio to face Ohio State on May 18-20.

Zain Pyarali