COLUMN: 'Gilmore Girls' reboot will recapture the magic

“Gilmore Girls” just released the official trailer for its Netflix revival series, “A Year in the Life.”

As a “Gilmore Girls” fan, I think the trailer looks quite promising, especially with original show writer Amy Sherman-Palladino, who wrote all but the final season of the original series, back to write the series revival.

Some fans, though, are still concerned.

This is not the first time Netflix has done a “revival” series.

The Editorial Board published an editorial earlier this semester about Bill Nye’s upcoming Netflix show, and most people are aware that a “Full House” reboot released on Netflix last year.

Some people think trying to recreate the magic that many felt watching their shows growing up just doesn’t work.

It’s no secret that most felt that “Fuller House” was a bit of a fail. I watched some of it myself, and sadly felt the same.

While it was nice to see the characters back together, changing the humor to fit a modern audience, as well as having many of the main characters in the revival be new, resulted in the show missing its original magic.

I would argue, though, that because of the nature of “Gilmore Girls” and the timeline of the revival, it could easily be a huge success.

Fans love the show because of how it captures both the small and more significant struggles and triumphs of 
daily life.

It is often relatable and still remains a “feel-good” show.

The witty, off-the-cut, fast-paced dialogue is bound to keep viewers entertained, and the mother-daughter relationship that forms the show’s center is heartwarming and one 
of a kind.

The most important part of the revival is that all of the elements that make lifelong fans love the show will still be 
present.

It doesn’t matter if it’s now or twenty years in the future; people of every age deal with the bright and dark 
moments in life.

As long as the revival follows this very basic yet brilliant theme, it will be a success in my book.

With the original writer back, I have no doubts this will be the case.

I also think the timeline of the revival is great.

When the show first aired in 2000, the daughter of the famous duo, Rory Gilmore, was 15, and her young mother 
was 31.

Many audience members who watched the show as it aired have said they really identified with either the mother or daughter based on their own age.

Those same members will still be the same age as the characters now and can still identify.

“Gilmore Girls” also recently gained a large new audience. Today’s teenage girls fell in love with the series when Netflix added it to its catalog a few years ago.

I think these newer viewers will love “A Year in the Life” just as much as original fans will.

In the revival, Rory will be in her late twenties, and as the trailer shows, is still searching for a promising career.

Even though I’m not her character’s age, I have to say that as a senior in college, watching a character go through this struggle is going to be really interesting for me. I’m really curious to see how the whole thing plays out.

This really is a show for all ages, and I know one thing for certain: come Thankgiving on November 25, I’ll be curled up for hours, happily cradling my food baby, watching the revival, and so will thousands of other people.