Contaminant levels lower local water quality

Region filler image

Contaminant levels continue to be lower than the water-quality standard, according to the City of Bloomington’s monthly disinfectant byproduct test results.

September’s measurement of both haloacetic acids and trihalomethanes remained comparable to the previous monthly testing’s testing, according to a City of Bloomington press release.

“These results indicate that changing the point of chlorine addition, combined with our process optimization efforts, is allowing us to manage the formation of DBP,” Vic Kelson, utilities director, said in the release. “As the warm weather season comes to an end, we expect a seasonal downward trend in DBP formation.”

Over the winter, Kelsen said he and the rest of the department will continue to focus on improving water quality and eliminating the operational side effects of this year’s process changes.

“We’re pleased with the ongoing downward trend of these numbers,” Mayor John Hamilton said in the release.

The August 2016 findings revealed the concentration of haloacetic acids at the eight testing sites ranged from 38.0 parts per billion to 45.0 parts per billion, and the trihalomethane levels were between 52.0 parts per billion and 57.3 parts per billion. In September 2016, the most recent test month, findings showed the concentration of haloacetic acids ranged from 39.0 parts per billion to 45.0 parts per billion and the trihalomethane levels were between 50.7 parts per billion and 60.4 parts per billion, according to the release.

Haloacetic acids are a common undesirable byproduct of drinking water chlorination. Exposure to such disinfection in water, at high levels over many years, has been associated with a number of health outcomes. Filtration can help with decreasing levels.

September’s lab report also included quarterly results that, when compared to the same period in 2015, indicate much improved levels of contamination. The level of haloacetic acids for the third quarter 2015 ranged from 52 parts per billion to 60 parts per billion while trihalomethane levels were between 84.3 parts per billion and 95.5 parts per billion. The third quarter 2016 data levels ranged from 38.6 parts per billion to 45.3 parts per billion for haloacetic acids and between 52.4 parts per billion and 59.6 parts per billion for trihalomethane, according to the release.

Monthly water testing was initiated in January of this year in an effort to track water quality better, specifically DBPs. From January to September 2016 no individual sample has exceeded the maximum contaminant level.

“Since we started testing more frequently and making changes in the water purification process our water quality has improved, but we will certainly continue our attention and efforts,” Hamilton said in the release. “I appreciate the hard work of our employees to get us to this point.”