weekend

Uncovering Bloomington: Local coffee spots to cure your caffeine cravings

Soma won the best coffee in Blooington this year. Steven Garicia makes a latte.

There are many coffee places in town that can try to grab people’s attention, but before you go to the classic choice of Starbucks, consider trying something a little more local.

Two places I encourage coffee addicts and coffee haters alike to try are Soma and the Pourhouse Café.

Both are located right on Kirkwood Avenue and are excellent places for study and conversation. Prices are similar to those found at Starbucks, but in this case, you’re supporting local businesses and their owners.

Soma, which also has a location on East Third Street, is a coffee house and juice bar. It has a large menu featuring many different specialty drinks, smoothies and coffee-free drinks for those who may not need a coffee IV like I do.

I recommend all of the lattes, my favorite being the Oahu, essentially a liquid macadamia nut cookie.

But mostly, I head to Soma when I need a vitamin C boost via one of its amazing smoothie combinations that taste fresher than fruit right out of the produce department.

However, the item on the menu I swear by is Dr. D’s Tonic. It may seem simple — just honey, water, lemon and ginger — but this concoction will do exactly what it says it will on the menu: eliminate any signs of a cold you have coming on.

I’m not sure I how will survive without this miracle medicine when I graduate.

Not too far down the street from Soma is the Pourhouse Café.

The menu includes all your coffee house standards, lattes, cappuccinos and more, which are all fantastic, but I recommend the Tuxedo Frappe or Turtle Latte.

This is the place to indulge in all that chocolately goodness.

If you just need a study snack or are looking to fill up, the Pourhouse Café has some great selections. I love the chicken salad sandwich and the quiches. They never disappoint.

For all you non-coffee drinkers, never fear, the menu does have smoothies and other coffee-less 
beverages.

However, the best part about the Pourhouse Café is that every month it partners with an organization and donates to it.

So not only are you fueling yourself, but you’re helping others and doing some good out there with your purchase.

Next time you’re looking for a new place to study or simply catch up with a friend, skip the chains and head to either of these establishments.

They are certain to make your experience in Bloomington a little more local.