COLUMN: The New England Patriots will never die

spnationalcolumn

There was no reason the Patriots should have won.

Playing without two starters on the offensive line, defensive end Rob Ninkovich, Incredible Hulk cosplayer Rob Gronkowski and future Hall of Fame quarterback Tom Brady, it would have been easy to just chalk up the first game of the 2016 season as a loss. Instead New England did what it seemingly always does — it won.

Since the turn of the century, Bill Belichick, Tom Brady and company have appeared in the Super Bowl six times and won four, doubling the second-place team in both categories during that time period. Since 2001, they’ve won 11 AFC East titles in 14 seasons and not had a losing season. It may seem blasphemous, but this iteration of the Patriots is the best dynasty of all time.

Yes, the ‘70s Steelers and ‘80s 49ers won more in a shorter span, but what makes Gillette Stadium’s squad so great is their 
longevity.

Making the playoffs in the NFL is a monumental challenge — just talk to Browns fans. Just the brutality that goes into every game and the possibility of injuries at any time makes it a league where durability is essentially impossible. In 15 years, the Patriots have made the playoffs 13 times, and it will eventually be 14 in 15, the way this season is going.

Every year come the stories. “The Dynasty is over,” “They can’t do it again,” “A new AFC East Champion will emerge this year.”

I imagine Belichick sitting at his dining room table — definitely a rich mahogany rustic tilt-top that has dirtied up over the years but is still beautiful — going over the news that he won’t win this upcoming season with a grin on his face. He calls Tom Brady with his Motorola Razr and says, “They’re doubting us again.” Belichick then hangs up and drinks the rest of his black coffee while Brady goes back to trying on the newest Ugg slippers.

I hate the Patriots. I despise them. As a Jets fan, New England is always standing in the way. It almost seems as if we’re the little kid who gets a few punches in on the bully before he just pushes us over and steals our lunch money and one shoe, just because.

With that said, it’s impossible not to respect them. Their sustained brilliance and ability to withstand any loss is awe-inspiring. The Patriots will probably go to the Super Bowl again 
this year.

One day, they may fall off. Brady may retire. Belichick will give his soul to the devil after the deal they made 15 years ago. And, another team can rise from the ashes. But until the Patriots have a losing season and maybe a few more after that, I’m not counting them out.

It seems the best way to describe the Patriots and my feelings toward them is with Wes Mantooth’s quote toward Ron Burgundy. Tom Brady and I may not be above a bear pit at the San Diego Zoo, but if we were, I would say, “From deep down in my stomach, with every inch of me, I pure, straight hate you. But goddammit, do I 
respect you!”