COLUMN: "South Park" is the least biased source of information

We live in a world where virtually every source of national news is in bed with a political party.

Fox News is always spouting conservative propaganda, and MSNBC is just as bad with its slant to the left. All other news sources fall somewhere in between, with none of them staying true to reporting without evident bias. In this profit-driven world, the one program that constantly mentions politics and media while staying true to its morals is Comedy Central’s “South Park.”

I know it sounds like a joke. But I can assure you all that I’m completely serious. No person, concept, movement, or mindset is exempt from the scrutiny of “South Park” creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker. They can’t be bought.

In the past two years, this adult cartoon has tackled some seriously complex issues that many politicians fear to debate. Matt Stone and Trey Parker have completely dismantled such things as microtransactions, safe spaces, the tyranny of business and our current political atmosphere.

Somehow they manage to make jabs at these cerebral, adult issues through the lens of four fourth graders and their misadventures. This strikes me as simply incredible.

Many criticize “South Park” for its crass humor and the unsettling themes it expresses through group of grade-school children, but its truth is rooted in its ridiculousness. By creating a world of seemingly insane events that couldn’t possibly happen, Parker and Stone force us to examine the wrongs that are happening around us every day.

This presidential election is a great example. A year ago, I never would have believed that our presidential office would be given to someone as unfit to lead as Donald Trump or Hillary Clinton. It feels like we’re living in a satirical show ourselves, and “South Park” calls attention to it.

And the best part is that it isn’t biased. People from both ends of the political and social spectrum are routinely skewered by the poignant satire South Park delivers. Whether the writers are criticizing the mentality that Caitlyn Jenner is a hero despite her deep personality flaws or tearing apart big business for using advertising to brainwash us, they don’t spare anyone who deserves to be called out.

South Park has taught me that satire is the only media we can trust these days. We’ve allowed most of our cultural and political beliefs to be reduced to petty sound bites. It’s sad.

Our only option now is to turn to the people who create media that criticizes the system itself. If we continue to let the egomaniacs at the top of politics tell us what to believe, we’re going to fall deeper into a cultural pit.

I promise I don’t pray to a little statue of Matt Stone before I go to bed every night.

I do, however, think we need to look to the media creators who ruthlessly pick apart what’s wrong with our culture rather than those who profit from political affiliation.