Pop-up store opened Friday with glamping style

entskirt

The pop-up lifestyle boutique Skirt & Satchel is bringing its minimalistic designs, quirky patterns and fresh attitude to Kirkwood Avenue for 10 days of exclusive style.

Today marks the store’s grand opening at 221 E. Kirkwood Ave., where the boutique will introduce collections of both men’s and women’s apparel, accessories and home goods. According to a press release, this first capsule collection is inspired by the theme of glamorous camping, or “glamping,” at Lake Monroe.

Co-founded by Andy McManis and IU graduate Lynzy Finnegan, Skirt & Satchel will only feature products from independent designers and other small brands.

“Through our designer relationships, we are able to bring to Bloomington unique goods with a story of who designed it and where it was made,” Finnegan said. “Our styling expertise and lifestyle editing ensures a true boutique experience outside the realm of fast fashion.”

In addition to the launch of the brick-and-mortar store, specially curated “mini-capsules” are available for purchase on their website. Each capsule contains themed items that shoppers can purchase in a single bundle.

For example, the Bloom + Market capsule features a locally printed T-shirt that reads, “Indiana: bloom where you are planted.”

After moving to Bloomington from Phoenix with her husband, McManis said she spent a lot of time trying to grow her business.

“At one point I felt like I had just hit a wall,” she said. “And that was the day I met Lynzy.”

Eight weeks later, the pair launched Skirt & Satchel’s first pop-up shop.

“We believe in supporting the talented designers and small-batch makers from here in the Hoosier state and the Midwest,” Finnegan said. “It’s also exciting to introduce Bloomington to the quality goods we’ve selected from across the country.”

The startup is based out of the local community office space Cowork. Finnegan and McManis said they credit local stepping stones like Startup Weekend Bloomington and the Ivy Tech Small Business Development Center for helping them launch.

“We were able to be motivated, inspired and encouraged by other Bloomington entrepreneurs,” 
Finnegan said.

Skirt & Satchel will remain open through Sept. 25 — or until it runs out of merchandise. After finishing its time on Kirkwood Avenue, the brand will continue to hold model casting calls for marketing purposes and will make an appearance at Small Business Saturday Day at Cardinal Spirits.

“Skirt & Satchel was inspired by a passion to foster creativity and positivity,” Finnegan said. “Not only for ourselves, but for those who are shopping with us and creating for us.”