weekend

Pasternack on the Past: "Mary Poppins"

“Mary Poppins” is one of my favorite films to revisit as I get older.

It’s one of the rare childhood classics that gets more fun and rich each time you see it. If nothing else, it’s very good at making you smile.

This 1964 film follows the dysfunctional Banks family in 1910 London. Their latest nanny has quit, which leaves a vacuum for the magical Mary Poppins to take her position. Through a series of adventures, she will help bring wonder to her new charges and make the family happier.

My favorite thing about this movie is its warm humanity. Instead of evil villains, “Mary Poppins” has people who need to be fixed.

This can be seen in the character of Mr. Banks, a strict banker. He has trouble paying attention to his family and can be harsh, but the film doesn’t paint him as a mustache-twirling antagonist.

It is sympathetic to the pressures he feels at his job, and his ultimate redemption is heartwarming to watch.

The perfect type of shot to convey this kind attitude toward fictional characters is a close-up. Close-ups allow you to see every nuance of a character and allow you a deeper understanding of their emotions. This movie frequently uses close-ups, and each one reveals something interesting about the person on which it focuses.

The music in this film is excellent. It covers a wide range of emotions, and is always engaging to hear. There are so many songs that you can’t help but hum along to, like “Step in Time” and “Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.” Even shorter songs, like “Stay Awake,” can become engraved on your memory.

One of the most memorable things about this movie is Julie Andrews’s performance as Poppins. She is great at conveying her character’s humorous yet commanding nature. She gets to use her wonderful voice to its fullest extent in songs like “A Spoonful of Sugar.” Her performance is so delightful that it won her an Oscar.

Dick Van Dyke’s performance as Poppins’ friend Bert is a joy to watch. His silliness and wisdom make you wish that Van Dyke had a chance to play the lead in “Doctor Who,” despite his inaccurate cockney accent. He also plays a hilarious old man who is Mr. Banks’ boss.

The supporting performances are uniformly good.

Karen Dotrice and Matthew Garber are endearing as Jane and Michael Banks, the children whom Poppins watches over. David Tomlinson brings out the complexities in Mr. Banks’s character well. Glynis Johns gives a high-energy performance as Mrs. Banks.

The penguin waiters in the animated portion of the film are hilarious and should have been given a spin-off of sorts.

“Mary Poppins” is a warm and inviting film with wonderful performances and excellent songs. If you haven’t seen it, then you’ve got quite a treat in store.

Jesse Pasternack

jpastern@indiana.edu

@jessepasternack