OIS and Eskenazi go on tenth year of Noon Concert Series

Arts filler image

The Eskenazi Museum of Art frequently welcomes artists from outside of the visual world to share their artistic talents with students and community members alike.

One event that highlights the musical talent at IU in the Eskenazi museum is the Noon Concert series. This series provides an opportunity to see IU music students perform on various instruments. The next Noon Concert will take place at noon Friday in the museum’s atrium.

The series, now going on its 10th year, has been put on as part of a partnership between the Eskenazi and the Office of International Services. Allison LeClere, graduate assistant with OIS, said this particular venue provides a perfect setting for this type of show.

“It’s been a huge support in supplying a place for us — it’s a beautiful place to have concerts and performances,” LeClere said.

OIS recruits international students from the Jacobs School of Music to play in the space twice a month, LeClere said. The event is followed by a reception and light lunch, which is free for all attendees.

The musician playing the next concert will be Sun Huh, an international student in the music school who is originally from South Korea. Huh will be playing the violin with a piano accompaniment. LeClere said Huh lived and played in Berlin for two years and she looks forward to the experience of hearing her play in the museum’s music-friendly atrium.

“The sound quality is amazing,” LeClere said. “We have the concert up on the second floor atrium, and it is just amazing. You listen to these performers and the sound reverberates throughout the space. You hear patrons come in and say, ‘Oh, it sounded like the entire IU Orchestra was here.’ We never need any sound system or anything, it’s just them playing acoustically.”

LeClere said she appreciates the opportunity to connect with the students who play the Noon Concerts both through hearing their music and engaging them in 
conversation.

“The music is amazing. Every single concert, with the people who help run it and the patrons, is better than the last,” LeClere said. “It’s just a great way to spend your afternoon. I love interacting with the students and hearing their stories — a lot of them have played all over the world, and are world-renowned musicians.”

A combination of IU students and Bloomington community members attend these bimonthly concerts, LeClere said. The shows provide an opportunity for the students to not only perform, but also mingle with members of the community they live in as students at IU.

“Our audience has consisted of people from around Bloomington, people from nursing homes, elderly people around Bloomington who come and enjoy the performances,” LeClere said. “Students should come see the concert because it is an amazing performance. People may not realize until they leave IU that the school has such a plethora of world-class performers.”

The next Noon Concert in the series will take place Oct. 21 with Kathy Tai-Hsuan Lee, a student from Taiwan, on piano. Taisiya Sokolova from Russia will play the viola 
Oct. 28.

These shows allow students to break up their busy days, and attendees can choose any length of time to stay at the concert, LeClere said.

“This is a chance to see these performers for free, to break up the school day between classes,” LeClere said. “Students can just come in, sit down and get up to go to class.”