IU men's tennis travels west to play in All-American Invite

The IU men’s tennis team will send three Hoosiers to Tulsa, Oklahoma, this weekend for the pre-qualifying round of the All-American Invitation. These players include freshman Bennett Crane, junior Keivon Tabrizi and sophomore Afonso Salgado.

Crane, Tabrizi and Salgado will have their work cut out for them. Each will need to win four matches this weekend to reach the qualifying draw, which starts Monday. Junior leader Raheel Manji already waits in the qualifying draw.

Manji received an automatic wild card into the qualifying round after the success he had in the ITA Summer Nationals. He advanced to the finals in singles, where he fell to sophomore teammate Antonio Cembellin. Manji will need wins Monday and Tuesday in order to join Cembellin in the main draw, which starts on Wednesday.

Wednesday also marks the start of the main draw for the doubles tournament. Cembellin and Manji secured a spot in the main draw for doubles after winning the doubles crown at the ITA Summer Nationals.

“The fact that we both got wild cards gives a lot of confidence to the other guys around the team that we are up here, and we lead from the top,” Manji said.

Manji believes his attack mode mentality will be key to advancing to the main draw Wednesday. He believes his biggest strength is his ability to go after tough situations.

As for the biggest challenge, it all comes down to fitness.

“The All-American is a grind. It’s a hot and long tournament, and you have to be fit,” Manji said. “You have to be ready for every single match. They are all ranked and are all great players and have done great things for college tennis. To be ready from the get-go, and being fit enough to last, is the big thing.”

Manji committed himself to coming in early in the summer and working with the coaches to get ready for moments like this. He already has his spot secured in the doubles main draw, but he is determined to fight this upcoming week to join his teammate in the main singles draw.

The junior isn’t sure who he might face in the qualifier, but his experience for the past two years will prove valuable. Manji faced three nationally ranked opponents last season and was selected to represent Canada in the World University games after his freshman year.

The intense battle between Manji and Cembellin over the summer demonstrated a level of play that can be successful at any tournament.

“The level of tennis that the two of those guys played against each other in the finals was as high as anything you’ll see in the tournament this upcoming week,” IU coach Mike Murray said. “As long as we come into it with the right attitude, I think we can have a great tournament.”