sports men's soccer

IU still seeking premier finisher on offense

Indiana's Richard Ballard during Tuesday evening's 2-0 victory against IUPUI at Bill Armstrong Stadium.

IU men’s soccer team has fired an ungodly amount of shots in the past two matches, and although they’re having trouble scoring at times, the team is undefeated.

IU sent a total of 64 shots in its last two games against Northwestern and IUPUI but only have two goals to show for it. IU has scored five goals in their last five games. IU Coach Yeagley said he’s not concerned about his squad’s finishing touch. Yeagley said he thought the shot quality was much better Tuesday night in IU’s win over IUPUI than Sunday in the draw against Northwestern.

“We said before the season that we need to become a better finishing team so we just have to keep working on it,” Yeagley said. “It’s hard to get a lot of repetition in, and it’s just an area over the next six weeks that we’ll spend a lot of time on with our key attacking players.”

What the Hoosiers need is a premier goal-scorer they can count on. The two goal-scorers the Hoosiers have been able to rely heavily on all season to finish in the final third were crucial 
Tuesday.

Senior forward Richard Ballard netted his fourth goal of the season while senior midfielder Tanner Thompson was able to notch his third of the year.

IU is missing that elite goal-scorer at the top of its offense former forward Femi Hollinger-Janzen brought to the team prior. Hollinger-Janzen distinguished himself within the team last season with eight goals. Ballard could be that guy in 2016.

Yeagley said the team is trying to simplify Ballard’s role on the offense a little better because of how tough it is for any player to change positions so frequently. The senior forward has bounced from striker to underneath striker to a wide player for the Hoosiers throughout his career. Tuesday he was penciled in at striker next to junior forward Rashad Hyacenth. Yeagley said he hopes he can continue to put his leading goal-scorer at striker.

“We’ve moved him around a lot,” Yeagley said. “We’re trying to get him a little bit more up high with Rashad and maybe split that time. I think Rich and Rashad really bring different components to the game, and I think tactically that allows us to change the way we’re playing.”

Ballard worked up at the top of the Hoosier offense in the spring and has held his ground in eight matches thus far. Though he has played many positions, Ballard said he enjoys playing up top and being a primary goal-scorer.

“It’s a little bit more exciting when you’re closer to the goal and you get more opportunities,” Ballard said. “It’s one last line to beat and you get a lot of chances, so it’s fun.”