IU junior kicker Aaron Del Grosso arrested

IU junior kicker Aaron Del Grosso was arrested at 3:04 a.m. Wednesday for criminal trespassing and public intoxication.

Officers were dispatched to the 400 block of the Indiana 45/46 Bypass after Del Grosso called the police because he wanted his dog back from his ex-girlfriend. They then received a second call, Bloomington Police Department Capt. Steve Kellams said, from a roommate of the ex-girlfriend who said an intoxicated man had forced his way into their apartment.

“When we got there, we came into contact with Del Grosso, he was out in the street,” Kellams said. “He claimed that his ex-girlfriend had his dog and he wanted it back. There was a disagreement about the ownership of the dog. Both parties claimed ownership of the dog.”

Kellams said officers advised Del Grosso that it was a civil matter and that he needed to leave the property.

Del Grosso refused.

“We gave him several opportunities to leave, asked him several times to leave, and he would not do it,” Kellams said. “Finally, we did get him onto the sidewalk area, off of the property, and officers did leave, but within just a few minutes he went back onto the property and began knocking on the door again.”

Officers received a second call from the ex-girlfriend and roommate about Del Grosso being back on their property and knocking on the door. When officers returned to the scene it was at that point that they arrested Del Grosso for trespassing and public intoxication.

Del Grosso was IU’s primary kicker as a freshman in 2014, before now-junior Griffin Oakes took over the starting job early in the season. Del Grosso did not appear in any games in 2015, but did appear on a kickoff in IU’s win over Ball State in the 2016 home opener.

“We are aware of the situation concerning Aaron Del Grosso,” IU Athletics said in a statement, “we will continue to monitor it as details become available and will take appropriate action.”

This is the second incident involving an IU football player in September. Freshman defensive lineman Jerome Johnson was cited on Sept. 3 for illegal possession and consumption. Resident Assistant staff found Johnson passed passed out and unresponsive in a stairwell landing between the third and fourth floor at Briscoe Quad.