IU wide receiver charged with child molestation

Freshman wide receiver Kiante Enis.

IU freshman wide receiver Kiante Enis was arrested in Randolph County on Thursday and charged with two counts of child molestation, according to the sheriff’s department.

Randolph County sheriff’s deputies received a report of a “possible relationship” between Enis, 19, and “a child 13 years of age or younger” on Wednesday.

Enis and the child were interviewed and “admitted to a consensual sexual encounter that occurred on at least two occasions in Randolph County,” according to a press release issued by the Randolph County sheriff’s department.

Enis was then arrested and booked into the Randolph County jail, an hour and a half northeast of Indianapolis, and was held under a $20,000 bond. Child molestation is a level 3 felony with a potential of up to 16 years in prison and a fine of up to $10,000.

IU Athletics announced his dismissal from the program later Thursday afternoon. The statement from IU Athletics read: “Indiana football has dismissed freshman Kiante Enis from the program effective immediately.”

The freshman wide receiver hadn’t appeared in either of the first two games for the Hoosiers this season. IU Coach Kevin Wilson said Monday during his press conference that Enis had a concussion and was going through the team’s protocol before he would be able to get back on the field.

Enis initially made his verbal commitment to play at the University of Michigan, but later de-committed to go to IU so he could stay closer to home.

This is the third incident involving an IU football player in September. Junior kicker Aaron Del Grosso was arrested Wednesday morning for criminal trespassing and public intoxication, and freshman defensive lineman Jerome Johnson was cited on Sept. 3 for illegal possession and consumption.