FINAL: Wake Forest defeats IU 33-29

Sophomore wide receiver Nick Westbrook runs through the end zone after scoring against Wake Forest in the first half.

IU came into its matchup with Wake Forest without two senior offensive linemen in right guard Dan Feeney and right tackle Dimitric Camiel, but did finally have junior wide receiver Camion Patrick available as he returned from his injury one game before Big Ten season began. 

The first half was highlighted by three interceptions by IU junior quarterback Richard Lagow, which translated into 14 points for Wake Forest.

The Hoosiers started quickly, as Lagow threw a first-play, mid-range pass to sophomore wide receiver Nick Westbrook, who broke a tackle and ran 75 yards for the first score of the game. Junior kicker Griffin Oakes hit the extra point to make the score 7-0 after 13 seconds.

After IU drove inside the Wake Forest 10-yard line on its next drive, Lagow threw his first interception of the season to Wake Forest’s Jessie Bates. Wake Forest drove 61 yards down the field and scored on a zone-read keeper by junior quarterback John Wolford. The scored was tied at seven with 2:56 left in the first quarter.

After several exchanges through punts, IU had the ball near midfield when Lagow threw his second interception of the day — this one off of Westbrook’s hands. Bates caught his second interception of the game and returned it 55 yards for a score. The Demon Deacons led the Hoosiers 14-7 with 10 minutes left in the first half.

The Hoosiers drove into Demon Deacon territory four times, but failed to score on three attempts, as Lagow threw an interception, the Hoosiers turned the ball over on downs and an Oakes field goal was blocked.

It was after the blocked field goal that Wake Forest drove 80 yards in less than two minutes, a drive that was capped off with a pass from Wolford to Chuck Wade in the back of the endzone.

Wake Forest led IU 21-7 at halftime.

Starting the second half, Lagow threw his fourth interception of the game to linebacker Grant Dawson. Wake Forest used the favorable field position from the IU 43-yard line to score three more points on a 47-yard field goal, pushing its lead to 24-7.

On the ensuing drive, Lagow through a pass down the left sideline to senior wide receiver Ricky Jones, who took the ball 65 yards down the field. Lagow capped the drive with a corner pass to Westbrook, and the Hoosiers pulled within 10 points early in the second half, 24-14.

After a Wake Forest field goal to extend the lead to 27-14, Jones had another long catch for 50 yards, taking the Hoosiers inside the Wake Forest 10-yard line. Freshman running back Tyler Natee scored his first collegiate touchdown on a 1-yard run up the middle. On an Oakes extra point kick, the Hoosiers jumped to within six points, 27-21.

To start the fourth quarter, Wake Forest drove 75 yards on 12 plays, including 45 yards worth of penalties on IU, to score a touchdown on a Wolford draw from nine yards out. After a failed 2-point conversion, the score was 33-21 with 9:59 to go in the game.

IU sophomore receiver Donavan Hale caught a long pass in the endzone for a touchdown with 11 seconds to go in the game, but the Hoosiers provided little threat in the fourth quarter.

Wake Forest improved to 4-0 and dropped IU to 2-1, as the Demon Deacons won 33-28.

The non-conference loss was IU’s first since September of 2014 when it lost at Bowling Green.

Despite throwing five interceptions, Lagow set the all-time IU record for passing yards in a game with 496.

Patrick played five plays at the wide receiver position but was not targeted by Lagow. Junior defensive back Ben Bach left the game with an injury, and an injury update has not yet been given.

Final Stats:

QB Richard Lagow: 28-47, 496 yards, 3 touchdowns, 5 interceptions

RB Devine Redding: 16 carries, 68 yards

WR Nick Westbrook: 6 catches, 129 yards, 2 touchdowns

WR Ricky Jones: 8 catches, 208 yards

Taylor Lehman