Fashion month travels back in time

Arts filler image

William Faulkner once said, “The past is never dead.”

This saying is at least true in reference to the fashion world. While we move forward every year with new clothing collections, designers repeatedly turn the runway into a time machine as lines take inspiration from numerous eras of the past.

Throughout this fashion month, we have been reminded the past is still very much alive as designers at New York City, London, Milan and Paris fashion weeks all placed their own 2016 spin on iconic fashion statements of the past.

The designer that received the most praise during New York Fashion Week offered a collection almost completely made in the patriotic red, white and blue colors. Marc Jacobs made the statement that it’s socially and fashionably acceptable to sport the colors of the American flag after July 4.

It wasn’t just Jacobs’ unbelievable ability to produce more than 60 versatile looks in the same three shades. It was also his signature edgy twist on the fashion of a conservative era that raised eyebrows. In one of Jacobs’ looks, he offered a modern spin on a nautical 1940s vibe as he layered a light blue sailor-esque blouse with a wide white and red lapel over a sheer patterned jumpsuit.

Jacobs didn’t stop there — his collection expanded to incorporate inspiration from the 1990s and beyond. He managed to pull off the ever-so-popular boxer briefs by having them peek out of bleached denim jeans in a way that defined couture.

While Jacobs set the bar high with such a diverse line, Europe wasn’t going to back down without a fight. Quickly following the conclusion of New York Fashion Week, the lights and runway were up and running in 
London.

While Jacobs drew from inspiration in more recent decades, Burberry’s collection felt like it came from another century. The ruffled high neckline we see in portraits of Marie Antoinette came to life on the runway in the most unexpected way when Burberry’s line flaunted blouses that mimicked this collar layered underneath studded leather jackets and printed sweaters.

Beyond a recurring detail, the collar reintroduced a staple that can complement any look.

When fashionistas flew to Milan, they probably didn’t expect one of the worst decades in fashion history to take on new life.

While most designers would think all hope was lost in reinventing the tacky color-blocked windbreaker of the 1980s, Versace found it inspiring. Instead of using the popular combination of hot pink, neon yellow and sky blue from this decade, Versace mixed a classic navy, a vibrant violet and a deep green together to create a killer jumpsuit with a long, sleek matching windbreaker.

Although the final runway of September is in Paris, Givenchy managed to create an exquisite line that Harper’s Bazaar said embodied a Native American style.

Givenchy took the evil eye motif that has been dated to about 3,000 B.C. and made it the basis for one of its most jaw-dropping looks. Two mysterious eyes stare right into the audience. One is threaded into a high collar shooting straight out from the neck of the dress and another plastered across the chest with countless other hidden eyes on the printed fabric.

The outfit was complete with yellowish nude knee-high snakeskin boots to create a style that hoped to represent Native American culture.

It’s rather funny that, as shoppers, we always want to add something new to our closets when nearly every item in our closets or hanging on racks at stores is made possible by the past.