City offers SWAGGER award to generous youth

The City of Bloomington Commission on the Status of Children and Youth is seeking nominations for the second annual SWAGGER Awards. SWAGGER stands for Students Who Act Generously, Grow and Earn Respect

Nomination forms will be available online beginning Sept. 14 through Oct. 14, according to a City of Bloomington press release.

The purpose of the SWAGGER Awards is to honor youth who have a commitment to certain causes or have displayed actions that have improved their lives and/or the lives of others around them.

Nominees can be recognized by their peers, mentors, parents, friends, clergy and educators, according to the release.

This award is open to students who live or attend school in the Monroe County Community School Corporation. Award categories are kindergarten through third grade, fourth through sixth grade, seventh through eighth grade and ninth through 12th grade.

Mayor John Hamilton will present the awards to four students at a ceremony 6:00 p.m. Nov. 15, 2016 in the City Hall Atrium, 401 N. Morton St.

The purpose of the Commission on the Status of Children and Youth is to promote connections in our community which empower, enhance and nurture children and youth.

The Commission will access resources and information to make recommendations to people and organizations with authority to create and support systems that encourage healthy development of children and youth, according to the release.

Members of the commission should be representative of low income, community and social services for children and youth server providers.