Tuesday, March 19

politics

5 things to take away from the debate

Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton speaks at the Douglass Park Gymnasium in Indianapolis on Sunday ahead of the May 3 Primary Elections in Indiana. Clinton spoke about a slew of topics including healthcare, foreign policy and drug addiction.

Last night the sides of the aisle switched colors on stage, with Hillary Clinton donned in red and Donald Trump in a blue tie. The differences continued on from there.

Trump’s economic plan is “Trump’ed up” according to Clinton.

Trump said overseas industries are taking the United States' jobs. He said special interest groups own these companies and in order to bring back jobs, companies must stop them from leaving. He questioned why Clinton has not made the economy better in her thirty years in politics.

Clinton said Trump’s plan would lose three and a half million jobs. She said clean energy will be the next step in revamping our economy and becoming the clean energy superpower of the 21st century.

Investing in people will bring back the country’s economy.

Trump said regulations are too strict and new companies cannot form.

“You are going to raise taxes big leagues, and you have plans to make them even worse,” Trump said to Clinton.

Clinton said broad-based inclusive growth is what is needed in America, and advantages for people at the very top need to be limited. She said she does not believe top-down, trickle economics will work to stimulate the country’s economy.

Who can the country trust to be president?

Both candidates said the other was not fit to lead the country. Trump said Clinton’s economic reforms would not produce jobs. He said if her plan is put in place manufacturing would be up to 50 percent. Clinton responded with a plug for her website, which had been turned into a live fact-checker for the night.

Trump said he will release his tax returns when Clinton releases her emails. Clinton said in her two-minute response Trump has a history of racist behavior. She said Trump had a lawsuit brought against him for hiring discrimination based on race and said this should reflect on his ability to handle race relations in the country, particularly at such a tense time in the last few years.

Clinton said she made a mistake using a private email account for government use.

“If I could do it over again, I would obviously do it differently,” Clinton said.

Criminal justice reform is more relevant than ever.

Clinton said she’s called for criminal justice reform since the beginning of her campaign. She said there are police officers who equally want reform.

“We have to bring communities together in order to work on that as a mutual goal,” Clinton said.

“Secretary Clinton doesn’t want to use a couple of words: and that’s law and order,” Trump said in response to Clinton’s stance on gun control. He said the country should use the “stop and frisk” tactic. He did agree with Clinton that better relationships between the community and police are needed.

Security in America is an issue on and off the internet.

Trump said fixing the cyber security problem is hardly doable and related it back to the overall state of the country. He said ISIS would not have been formed if Clinton and the Obama administration had kept troops in the Middle East.

Clinton said in her response to Trump the only way to stop ISIS was to disarm their leaders. She said NATO has an important role in doing this.

“We’ve got to do everything we can to vacuum up intelligence from Europe, the Middle East,” Clinton said. “We have to work more closely with our allies.