sports wrestling

IU wrestling schedule released

The 2016-17 schedule for the Hoosier wrestling squad was released Monday 
afternoon.

IU will look to build on its success from a year ago, when it won three conference matches — two more than the previous five years combined.

Two wrestlers made it to nationals last season. Then-junior Nate Jackson placed fifth nationally in the 174-pound weight class and then-freshman Elijah Oliver, at 125 pounds, won his first match of the tournament before dropping the next two.

The battle to nationals features three days of double duals, two regular season tournaments and 18 dual matches against non-conference and conference opponents.

IU opens the season Nov. 3 on the road with a double dual against San Francisco State and Cal Poly and stays on the road for their first six events.

The Big Ten slate kicks off in December when the Wisconsin Badgers visit University Gym. IU will take part in five more non-conference events, including a tournament, before returning to Big Ten matches to close the 
season.

In the first of those five events, IU will face Eastern Michigan away from home. IU defeated then-No. 24 Eastern Michigan last season, 
25-9.

Just before the new year, IU will wrestle in one of the biggest tournaments, the Ken Craft Midlands Tournament, of the regular season.

IU last wrestled in this tournament in the 2014-15 season, when it placed 10th out of 59 teams. Jackson took eighth place in that 
tournament.

The spring semester will be a challenge as the Hoosiers face only Big Ten opponents. Once that stretch ends and the postseason begins, IU will compete in the Big Ten Championships March 4-5 in Assembly Hall.

After the conference championships, the Hoosiers will know who will represent IU at nationals in St. Louis.