Vigil recognizes National Overdose Awareness Day

Terry Eads speaks outside the Monroe County Courthouse about overdose awareness. After losing a son to an overdose, Eads works to further overdose education.

While science has recognized drug addiction as a disease, society has not, community member Brandon Drake said at a candlelight vigil for drug overdose victims Wednesday night.

About 50 Bloomington community members gathered at the Monroe County Courthouse to remember those killed from overdosing, discuss the continuing risk of overdose and work to end the stigma of overdosing.

The vigil was a public event and invited all to come with a picture of their loved one and a candle.

The event is in concurrence with International Overdose Awareness Day, a global event on Aug. 31 each year that raises awareness of overdose and reduces the stigma of addiction.

Terry Eads, who lost her son to overdose, said this is the second year for the vigil.

“It’s to honor and remember those who have passed,” Eads said. “And to honor and support those still fighting the fight.”

Drake works to help people with addiction.

“August 31 is a day where candlelight vigils are going on everywhere,” Drake said. “It’s a day where, nationally, we work to get rid of the stigma that comes with addiction.”

He said the event is a place for people in recovery as well as people who have lost loved ones to addiction. He said parents of both recently killed and recovering addicts are often at vigils such as these.

“Last year, somebody lost their son, she hadn’t talked about it at all in the year since,” Drake said. “But she got up and spoke with all of us about her son not being able to get help when he wanted it.”

Chris Albert, a member of the Indiana Recovery Alliance, said his organization offers access to opiate overdose reversal treatments like Narcan in southern Indiana.

First responders and some police departments are using the drug on victims, and providing more access will help the anti-stigma movement, 
Albert said.

“We need a collaboration of treatment options, decriminalization funding and overall harm reduction,” Albert said.

Albert led the beginning of the vigil with a demonstration of how to treat someone who overdoses, including use of treatment options and rescue breathing. He said loss of breathing in the overdosed person is the main concern.

The vigil had multiple speakers, including Collin T., who asked that his last name be omitted.

Collin said it was difficult to speak in public because he lived much of his life in secret, but he is grateful he had the support he needed to recover.

“I’m extremely grateful to be here,” Collin said. “For me, gratitude is an action, it’s not just a word. I truly believe I’m only as sick as my secrets.”

Eads also spoke after the demonstration about the loss of her son. Eads has had two sons in recovery: Brad, who died two years ago, and Jason, who is currently in recovery.

“For all you parents out here, we, too, have traveled this bumpy road of addiction with our kids,” Eads said. “We always love them even in the darkest of times. We don’t always like them, but we always love them.”