Program helps researchers create companies

Campus filler image

Spin Up, an entrepreneurship program through IU Research and Technology Corporation, now offers more services to researchers who want to launch a company, according to an Aug. 24 press release.

The program provides tools and guidance for those who want to create and grow a company quickly and successfully, Spin Up associate Jerry Hunter said in the release.

Spin Up has a “startup in a box” model where it has worked with legal, accounting, human resources, banking, tax preparation and insurance services. Because the services are all based in Indiana, the experts have a better understanding of legislation in that area.

Hunter said in the release IU researchers are among the foremost experts in their fields but might not know how to manage startup activities.

“Spin Up can make those connections with the 
business service providers so researchers can spend more time honing their innovations for the market,” Hunter said in the release.

IURTC is a nonprofit corporation that protects and commercializes technology from IU researchers. More than 2,700 inventions have come from this research since 1997, and there have been more than 3,900 global patent applications filed as a result, according to the 
release.