Notable pianist Norman Krieger joins Jacobs staff

The Jacobs School of Music recently announced the appointment of pianist Norman Krieger as professor of piano, according to a press release.

Krieger is a Los Angeles native who has been recognized as one of the most acclaimed pianists of his generation. Since 1997, Krieger has previously worked as professor of keyboard studies at the University of Southern California’s Thornton School of Music.

His musical education began with his uncle, Rudy Hadda, and continued with another instructor, Esther Lipton. Krieger attended The Julliard School for a bachelor’s and a master’s degree. He later completed an Artist Diploma from the New England Conservatory.

Honors Krieger has received during his career include the gold medal in the first Palm Beach Invitational Piano Competition, the Paderewski Foundation Award and the Bruce Hungerford Memorial Prize. He has five albums with various various orchestral groups accompanying, under the label Artisie 4, according to the release.

He has collaborated with such composers as Zubin Mehta, Marin Alsop and Myung-Whun Chung, among many others. He has also appeared with many major orchestras, including the New York, Los Angeles, Buffalo, Dayton and Rochester philharmonics and the Minnesota Orchestra.

His musical work has taken him abroad as well. Some of his notable traveling engagements include Germany’s Philharmonisches Orchester Augsburg, Holland’s Orkest van het Oosten and Prague’s Czech National Symphony Orchestra.

Krieger’s artistry and humanity make him a universally admired musician, Dean Gwyn Richards said in the release.

“The substance of his playing, the passion of his teaching and his nurturing demeanor immediately spoke to our faculty and students,” Richards said. “We are excited to have Norman and his family in Bloomington and are eager to have him interacting with the school this fall.”