Exhibition games underway for IU

Tanner Thompson moves to pass a defender during the second half of game play against Ohio state on Oct. 10, 2015 at Jerry Yeagley Field. The Hoosiers lost 1-0 in overtime.

The Hoosiers return home to take on the Oakland Golden Grizzlies in their second warm-up match following a 2-0 loss Tuesday to Loyola-Chicago in the opening game of the 
exhibition slate.

It was a disappointing showing following what was an impressive three-goal performance in an informal 35-minute period played prior to the start of the exhibition match-up. IU scored three goals in the period, which was played for the purpose of allowing players who wouldn’t see much time in the full exhibition game to get more minutes. Senior Richard Ballard and sophomores Austin Panchot and Trevor Swartz were the goal scorers for the Hoosiers at Grand Park in Westfield, Indiana.

The No. 14 Hoosiers will come into Thursday’s second exhibition game against Oakland with just one more match against UCLA in Fort Wayne, Indiana, Saturday standing in front of them before the regular season kicks off Aug. 26 against New Mexico.

Oakland arrives in Bloomington following a 1-0 upset win over No. 2 Akron on Monday and a 3-1 loss to Bowling Green on Sunday. The two-time defending Horizon League champion Golden Grizzles are picked by the coaches to win the league for the second straight year.

Senior midfielder Tanner Thompson, junior defender Grant Lillard and sophomore defender Andrew Gutman were also named to the Big Ten Preseason Honors list Tuesday. In addition to the individual awards, the team was picked to finish second in the conference behind No. 1 Maryland.

Thursday’s exhibition match is scheduled to kick off at 7:30 p.m. at Bill Armstrong Stadium in Bloomington.