COLUMN: More than a party dorm

McNutt is known by many names.

People know my former dorm as the largest party spot for freshmen on campus, the home of the KLLC or by the infamous pseudonym “McSlut.”

The Huffington Post even ranked it as the #2 party dorm in all of America. No matter how you slice it, this dormitory seems to have a very one-dimensional reputation.

That being said, I’d like to share my personal insight into McNutt. I lived there last year, and I was its president for the spring semester. I believe I have a rather well-rounded opinion when it comes to this controversial place I used to call home.

First I’ll address the largest rumor about McNutt: its reputation as the party dorm. I won’t refute this claim. There were times I had trouble getting work done because someone a few rooms over decided that Tuesday night was perfect for a party.

This can become irritating. Some nights I just couldn’t manage to be loudly social in the early hours of a weekday morning. But there were other nights that I openly welcomed the opportunity to spend time with new friends, no matter the time of day. Besides, I’d be a liar if I said my roommate and I never had people over a little too late during the week.

Rather than just talk about how much delinquent behavior I witnessed or participated in last year, I’d like to highlight a side of McNutt that is often overlooked.

Whenever I needed someone to quiet down because I was studying, all I had to do was knock on their door and ask. Everyone on my floor was wonderfully supportive and understanding of the academic needs of others.

Students constantly studied in my floor’s lounge at all hours of the day, and that wasn’t an anomaly.

McNutt students work hard, and they never hesitate to help with that difficult chapter of K201 you just can’t seem to understand.

I met some of the best people in the world while I lived in McNutt, friends I will have for life.

Between the highly-motivated student government members, my inclusive and welcoming RA and my crazy, funny, intelligent floor mates, I will never forget the memories made inside those walls.

It isn’t all booze and sex.

This is why it pains me to see people reduce McNutt down to just “that IU party dorm.”

Don’t get me wrong — it’s a title that many of us are proud of, but it by no means defines the wealth of kindness and the depth of friendship you can find there at the top of Fee Mountain.

To anyone reading this who currently calls McNutt home, don’t fall victim to those trying to define you simply by where you live. Instead, focus on forging real relationships with the wonderful people you’re surrounded with. For most people, myself included, dorm life only lasts a year. I encourage you to make the most of it.

The many names of McNutt fail to capture the true supportive culture of the dorm, opting instead to pick at our penchant for parties.

Living in McNutt Quad made me a better student, leader, and friend, and I wouldn’t trade that experience for anything.