sports men's soccer

Hoosiers kick off season with Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament

Sophomore defender Grant Lillard gets control of the ball during the first half of play against Wake Forest on Nov. 29, 2015 at W. Dennie Spry Stadium.

The exhibition slate has come to an end, and it is finally time for IU to start its ‘Quest 
for Nine.’

The Hoosiers begin their regular season on the road for the first time since 2011 this weekend in South Bend, Indiana, for the Mike Berticelli Memorial Tournament. IU will take on the New Mexico Lobos on Friday before matching up against the UC-Irvine Anteaters on Sunday.

“They’re only soccer games,” junior defender Grant Lillard said. “It’s nice to play at home, but starting away versus home is not a big deal.”

Lillard and the Hoosiers start off with four games in a row against teams, including three consecutive California teams after Friday’s match, from the western part of the United States.

This IU team has four California players, including senior goalkeeper Collin Webb of San Diego. Webb said it will be good for him to play against some friends from back home.

“We’ve played more California teams this year than probably the rest of the other years combined,” Webb said. “It’s good to see some friends that stayed back in California and catch up with them after you beat them in the game and give them a little jab at it.”

Before getting into the Big Ten slate, the Hoosiers have four non-conference games against West Coast teams. Webb said the style of play can differ between Big Ten teams and teams from out west.

“The Big Ten is one of the most physical conferences in the whole country, and every game is a battle, so if you’re not having a good technical day, teams can just muck it up, maybe grind out a result,” Webb said. “On the west coast everything is a bit more Hispanic style since they have more Hispanic players.”

Coming into their first match against New Mexico, IU takes on a team that went 3-0 and did not concede a goal in any of its three exhibition matches.

New Mexico, which failed to make the NCAA Tournament last year, returns its leading goal scorer in Chris Wehan. Wehan found the back of the net 10 times in 2015 and should provide an early test for the Hoosiers’ back-line.

“New Mexico is a team that — you don’t know much on the opponent this time of year,” IU Coach Todd Yeagley said. “I know they always have good quality in the front half and they’re always tough and athletic. They’re going to make life difficult for us the best they can, and they’re well coached.”

No. 13 IU will look to start off on the right foot before returning home next weekend to face Cal and No. 4 Stanford.

“We’re ready. I’m excited as could be,” Lillard said. “New Mexico is going to be a great game. From what I’ve heard they are a big, athletic, talented team, and it should be a fun matchup.”