IU football position previews: Offensive Line

Quarterback Nate Sudfeld, offensive lineman Dimitric Camiel (77) and offensive lineman Dan Feeney (67) switch end zones and prepare for the fourth quarter during the game against Western Kentucky on Saturday at Memorial Stadium. The Hoosiers won, 38-35.

IU is looking to reach back-to-back bowl games in 2016 and prove itself a worthy competitor in the Big Ten. With the season opener about a month away, it’s time to take a look at what each position may have to offer.

Offensive Line

The numbers have been repeated day-in and day-out in the months following IU’s most successful season since 2007.

Two 1,000-yard rushers. One 1,000-yard receiver. One 3,500-yard passer.

There are other numbers too — 475 total points, 6,556 total yards, 337 first downs. All single-season records.

The group that every individual player, positional group and coach gives the credit to is the offensive line. But those numbers are getting old, redshirt senior offensive linemen Dimitric Camiel said.

“The most important thing staying hungry,” the Hoosier right tackle said. “Earlier they asked me about (redshirt senior guard Dan) Feeney, and I just said throughout our four years of being here he just stayed hungry. We lost a great leader with Jason Spriggs, but we got one back with Dan Feeney.”

Feeney, the offensive line’s undisputed leader, has allowed just one sack in his IU career. He chose to forego declaring for the 2016 NFL Draft and return to his college program for his final year of eligibility.

The guard earned All-American honors from ESPN, Sports Illustrated, the Associated Press and other outlets, as well as being named IU’s Offensive Teammate of the Year in 2015.

Needless to say, the right guard position will be held down by the All-American in 2016.

Replacing an All-American isn’t as simple. The Green Bay Packers drafted former Hoosier left tackle Jason Spriggs, and IU Coach Kevin Wilson said sophomore Brandon Knight, who spent time at tight end in 2015, will take Spriggs’ place on account of his size and foot speed.

Camiel will remain at right tackle after starting all 13 games at the position for IU last season. He is, however, the first option to replace Knight if the sophomore goes down with an injury.

Redshirt sophomore Wes Martin will remain the starting left guard for the Hoosiers, despite losing his spot on the depth chart to senior Jacob Bailey six games into the season. Wilson said in 2015 that Martin simply wasn’t getting the job done and Bailey took advantage of the opportunity.

Redshirt senior Wes Rogers, who has started and appeared in intermittent games through his three years of play, will start at center for the Hoosiers in 2016.

Camiel and Feeney both said the offensive line — and the four fifth-year seniors within it — is taking it upon itself to establish the IU offense as a dominating force both in the Big Ten and nation.

“We want to win more than 6 games, more than 7,” Feeney said, “so we’re just taking it game-by-game and do whatever it takes to win.”

Depth Chart:

Left Tackle

62 Brandon Knight, 6-5, 294, Sophomore

71 Delroy Baker, 6-6, 305, Redshirt Sophomore

LG

76 Wes Martin, 6-3, 310, Redshirt Sophomore

70 Jacob Bailey, 6-5, 300, Redshirt Senior

C

65 Wes Rogers, 6-4, 305, Redshirt Senior

72 Simon Stepaniak, 6-4, 310, Redshirt Freshman

RG

67 Dan Feeney, 6-4, 305, Redshirt Senior

RT

77 Dimitric Camiel, 6-7, 320, Redshirt Senior

52 DaVondre Love, 6-7, 315, Redshirt Freshman