Indian classical musician in residence at Jacobs

Amjad Ali Khan

Grammy-nominated Indian classical musician Amjad Ali Khan will be an artist-in-residence at the Jacobs School of Music through Oct. 22.

Khan was the first School of Global and International Studies artist-in-residence three years ago and has now returned to Bloomington to teach a special guest lecture as an adjunct professor of Indian classical music.

Khan is an acclaimed master of the sarod, a stringed instrument with deep tones that is commonly played in traditional Indian classical music.

“We are thrilled to have Indian classical musician and sarod master Amjad Ali Khan in residence at the Jacobs School of Music this fall,” Gwyn Richards, the school’s dean, said in a press release. “It is extraordinary that our students will have the opportunity to learn from and perform with this world-renowned musician who will provide them with experience with a musical form that spans centuries. Jacobs students ­­— performers, composers and improvisers — will benefit immeasurably.”

As part of his residency, Khan will teach “Fundamentals of Indian Classical Music,” which is open to graduate and upper-level undergraduate students.

The course will focus on topics of Indian classical music melodies, rhythmic patterns and traditional composition practices.

As Khan’s stay is in partnership with both the music school and SGIS, Khan is also participating in multiple campus performances with each school.

The first of these performances includes a concert with the music school student orchestra at 8 p.m. Oct. 6 in Auer Hall.

Ayaan Ali Bangash, Khan’s son and fellow sarod master, will later join Khan in a performance at noon Sept. 12 in the SGIS atrium.

During his previous stay, Khan performed at the Lotus World Music and Arts Festival and will return this year. He will perform at 7:45 p.m. Sept. 17 at Bloomington’s First Christian Church.

Khan’s musical achievements range from performing at esteemed venues including the Sydney Opera House and Carnegie Hall to winning multiple lifetime achievement awards from the Delhi government and the New Delhi Television Limited’s Indian of the Year Awards, as well as the Padma Vibhushan, India’s highest civilian award.

“In instrumental music there is no language barrier between the performer and the listener, so it transcends all barriers,” Khan said in the release. “Through music I would like to connect the world.”