Hoosiers have depth at key positions

Offensive coordinator Kevin Johns talks receiver Mitchell Paige, as well as other members of the IU football team's offense, through a _______ during practice on Wednesday at Mellencamp Pavillion. Junior Paige is looking to fill the wide receiver slot left open following J-Shun Harris being unable being unable to play this season due to injury.

After missing the 2015 season due to injury, sophomore wide receiver J-Shun Harris is out for the 2016 season following another knee injury. IU offensive coordinator Kevin Johns is searching for a way to replace his presence in the slot position.

Johns said while it’s unfortunate that Harris is out for the second year in a row, the wide receiver corps is moving forward with a “next man up” mentality.

And that means maneuvering players to fill the absence.

“Right now we’re looking at (freshman receiver) Isaac James and (sophomore running back) Ricky Brookins,” Johns said. “It’s just a matter of getting the best 11 guys on the field, and we can adjust positions if we have to.”

Johns also mentioned outside receivers that could play inside, such as sophomores Luke Timian and Donavan Hale. The coaching staff is still moving players to find the best package though.

While the coaching staff attempts to put together the right receiver packages, Johns said he and his staff are also trying to assemble the right running back packages to get the ball in the right hands.

“We have some bigger, thicker guys, and we have some slasher guys, so we like the balance that we have,” Johns said. “Now it’s going to be how do we get them all on the field.”

Johns talked about freshmen Cole Gest, Tyler Natee and Kiante Enis mostly.

Natee has a poise and maturity that Johns said allows him to soak in every aspect of the offense in a way that can be beneficial on the field, on top of his 6-foot, 260-pound frame.

Gest is a first-year running back that Johns said is really separating himself from the pack. His speed provides the punch that could result in big plays.

“Cole is a guy that brings explosion to that room,” Johns said about Gest and the running backs. “He has a quick first step. He packs a punch for a little guy. He’s going to be the guy that can take it 90 yards.”

In Enis’ case, Johns said that he has the ability and speed to be an impact player, which has resulted in reps at the wide receiver position. Johns said that they will continue to give Enis reps at a returning position, a receiver position and a running back position until they figure out where to use him.

“If you’re not careful with our running back depth, he could be sitting on the bench,” Johns said about Enis. “We need to find a way to get the ball in his hands and see if he can make a play.”

The Hoosiers were running situational drills in practice Friday, mostly inside the 20-yard line, a zone in which they found some statistical success late last season.

Still, many drives stalled inside the 20-yard line, something IU Coach Kevin Wilson used as credit to junior kicker Griffin Oakes’ Big Ten Kicker of the Year award.

With quarterback, running back and wide receiver competitions throughout camp, Johns took the opportunity to put them all in different situations in hopes of understanding field space and play calls close to the goal line.

“It’s about situations,” Johns said. “It’s not just about 1st-and-10 with the ball at midfield. We need to be able to score when we have the ball at the 20-yard line.