Hoosiers fail to win in two opening weekend matches

Sophomore forward Maya Piper fights with Western Michigan defender Alyssa Smith for control of the ball on Sunday at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The Hoosiers lost 2-0, ending the opening weekend of their season with a record of 0-1-1.

A lack of offense was an issue for the IU women’s soccer team last season, and that trend has continued into the early part of 2016.

IU lost 2-0 to Western Michigan on Sunday at Bill Armstrong Stadium. The Hoosiers recorded only two shots on goal in the defeat.

“I’m extremely frustrated and a bit embarrassed,” IU Coach Amy Berbary said. “The effort that we put in today alone is something that I am really disappointed in.”

Scoring chances for the Hoosiers were few and far between in the match. Sophomore forwards Abby Allen and Cassidy Blacha both had opportunities to score in the first half, but Western Michigan junior goalkeeper Stephanie Heber saved both attempts.

Unlike in IU’s first match of the season Friday, when IU drew 1-1 with Louisville, it was freshman goalkeeper Bristal Hadley-Mautino who got the start in net for IU against Western Michigan. Fellow freshman goalkeeper Sarah L’Hommedieu made three saves in the draw against Louisville.

Hadley-Mautino also made three saves in the defeat against the Broncos, but she allowed two second half goals to junior midfielder Kendall Juhnke.

Juhnke’s first goal was the result of a Western Michigan corner kick that she volleyed into the center of the net in the 56th minute. Her second goal was scored in the 75th minute as the result of a long-range shot into the upper right-hand corner of the net.

“I thought Bristal did a good job. She made a couple of good saves for us,” Berbary said. “I was pretty pleased with both of our goalkeepers this weekend.”

The lone goal allowed by L’Hommedieu against Louisville was due in part to a bounce the ball took past the IU defense. The bounce allowed freshman forward Allison Whitfield to score for the Cardinals and tie the match in the 76th minute.

Junior defender Annelie Leitner had gotten IU’s season off to a promising start against Louisville by scoring after four minutes. Leitner capitalized on a defensive mistake by the Cardinals to score the third goal of her career on a shot that deflected off senior goalkeeper Taylor Bucklin and into the net.

IU was unable to score a second goal, however, in the remaining minutes of regulation or either of the two ten-minute extra time periods.

“This group may be one of the most talented groups that we have had come through here,” Berbary said. “They need to understand the difference between wanting to win and working to win. That’s something that maybe we can think about on our day off.”

Winning a home match has now eluded the Hoosiers for the past 661 days after IU recorded a draw and a loss to begin this season. Five of IU’s first six matches this season will be played at home, although IU will be on the road for their next match Friday night at Butler.

“I think we really need to focus on ourselves. Butler is a huge game,” Berbary said. “They are a great team and an in-state rival. We just have to make sure that we continue to prepare throughout the week so that we are ready to go.”