Eskenazi Museum of Art debuts August installations

Sidney Eskenazi, left, and Lois Eskenazi unveils the new sign of the Indiana University Art Museum on Wednesday outside the IU Art Museum.The Eskenazi donated 15 millions dollars to the IU At Museum.

The Eskenazi Museum of Art revealed four new installations for August, and there are plans to share more new and innovative pieces throughout the semester.

The four installations cover a variety of artistic forms and are now on view in the first floor gallery of 
Western Art.

They include “Becoming a State,” studies by Thomas Hart Benton in preparation for his Indiana Murals.

The other three installations are “Modern Sculptors of Indiana,” “The Art of Presidential Politics” and “Old Hollywood Glam,” photographs of classic celebrities.

“Modern Sculptors of Indiana” is a personal favorite of Abe Morris, manager of public relations and marketing for the museum. Morris said the installation features works by sculptors Isamu Noguchi, George Rickey and Alexander Calder, among others.

“Many people don’t realize that a number of great modern sculptors had connections to IU and Indiana,” Morris said in an email. “This installation also includes a maquette of the great Calder statue Peau Rouge Indiana, which stands outside of the Musical Arts Center.”

Another highlight of the semester will be the installation of Rainworks, water-activated art pieces that are invisible while dry.

The museum plans to unveil the largest Rainwork ever created, weather permitting, during the CultureFest After-Party. More Rainworks are set to appear throughout 
the fall.

The After-Party, taking place at 5 p.m. Aug. 18, will include “Passport to the Galleries” for attendees to complete and a special exhibition called “Spotlights,” which will display lesser-seen pieces from the museum’s 45,000-piece collection.

Starting in October, the work of artist Vik Muniz will decorate the Special Exhibitions Gallery on the first floor. The museum will be the only Midwest venue for this traveling exhibition, which will be on view through Feb. 5.

Morris said Muniz is an inventive and exciting artist and that visitors will be constantly stimulated as they walk through to explore the artist’s life’s work.

“He has an amazing way of viewing the world,” Morris said. “He continually finds creative ways to take familiar things and use them in unusual, unpredictable ways, whether it be recreating famous works of art out of piles of junk, or making the world’s smallest sandcastle by carving the image of a castle on a single grain of sand.”

Morris said museum staff hopes to attract students with the “First Thursdays” social events, launching Sept. 1, which will include gallery games, art-making activities, live entertainment, and food and drink.

“We hope First Thursdays will be a great avenue for students to make the museum a regular part of their month,” Morris said. “We want it to be a social, engaging and fun event where they can comfortably explore the museum, hang out and have fun with their friends, and learn something new about the world of art, all at the same time.”

Morris said he wants all students to know they are welcome at the museum.

“The museum is a great place to meet with your friends, grab a cup of coffee, study or socialize and admission is always free,” Morris said. “Our events are a great place to meet people while learning a little about the world of art. It can also be a great place to get a little quiet time in the galleries when the semester starts to get hectic and you need a break.”