College Republicans members weigh in on Trump

College Republican chairman Brian Gamache led new members into the organization with an introduction of the executive board, the Pledge of Allegiance, and pizza at the College Republican call out meeting Monday evening at the Kelley Graduate School.

From happy acceptance to outright rejection, young conservatives voiced a range of opinions on Donald Trump last night before the College Republicans at IU callout meeting.

The organization as a whole does not endorse candidates, and the group plans to focus on membership and growth this year, according to a statement made 
Monday.

Kevin Beckner, a senior who has been a part of College Republicans on and off before, said he voted for Ted Cruz in the primaries but now supports Gary Johnson, the Libertarian party candidate.

He said he believes Johnson will best defend and protect the United States Constitution — the quality most important to him in a candidate.

Vish Naik, a freshman, wasn’t old enough to vote in the primary. He plans to vote for Trump in November, though he initially supported Chris Christie, Marco Rubio and Ted Cruz.

Naik said Trump’s “America First” initiative emphasizing American security and enrichment appealed to him most, and he said reading Trump’s book, “The Art of the Deal,” helped convince him to support the Republican nominee, 
as well.

He said media coverage of Trump has been biased and focused on sound bites over substance.

“I read his book way before, and it led me to believe that what the media says isn’t true,” Naik said. “The fact that he wants to close the border and put America first before we do foreign aid and rebuild this country really helped.”

Talia Plofsky, a junior who has been an inactive member of College Republicans in the past, said she is a registered independent who usually votes Republican, but not in this election. She will still cast a ballot in November, just not for Trump, she said.

“I don’t feel very represented this election by 
either nominee,” Plofsky said. “I think he’s a polarizing figure and doesn’t represent Republicans or any conservatives well.”

Kacie Fuhrer, a junior joining College Republicans this year, said she agrees most with third party candidates this election.

She doesn’t like Trump, although she said she prefers him to Clinton, who she perceives to flip-flop on policy too much.

“I don’t believe a word out of Donald Trump’s mouth,” Fuhrer said. “Anything that comes out of his mouth is not said in a 
nice way.”

Trump’s lack of 
political correctness appeals to Nina Dorenbos. Dorenbos, a sophomore, said she supported Cruz in the primary, but thinks she will vote for Trump in November because he has similar policies to Cruz.

She said there is still two months until Election Day, though.

Danielle Rafanello, a junior thinking about joining College Republicans, said she’s more focused on state races than the presidential election.

“Nothing is going to change without conservatives coming together at a state level,” Rafanello said.

The nationwide deadline to register to vote in the general election is Oct. 11, and the presidential election is Nov. 8.