sports baseball

IU pitching coach to take on new role

IU Coach Chris Lemonis and the Hoosier baseball team announced an in-house promotion on the coaching reins Monday afternoon.

Pitching coach Kyle Bunn has been elevated to associate head coach for the upcoming season. In just two years in Bloomington, Bunn has seen eight of his pitchers ink professional contracts.

His staff last year tested the national ranks, finishing second in walks per nine innings (2.31), fifth in WHIP (1.15) and 11th in team ERA (3.09). The Hoosiers also led the conference in fewest walks per nine innings, WHIP and strikeout-to-walk ratio, and finished second in ERA.

“I feel very honored and fortunate to have been named the Associate Head Coach for IU’s baseball program,” Bunn said. “My family and I have had a relationship for over 20 years with Coach Lemonis as a player, a mentor and currently a boss. He is not only a great man but has been and still is an awesome example to follow in my journey through college baseball.”

Bunn is entering his 15th year of coaching collegiately at the Division I level. In that time he’s served as an assistant at Ole Miss, Clemson, Alabama, East Tennessee State and IU. Fifty-four of Bunn’s pitchers have gone on to play professional baseball while nine have reached the major leagues.

“Kyle is very deserving of being named associated head coach,” Lemonis said. “He is a tireless recruiter who lives the game of baseball and has prepared himself to be a head coach in the very near future.”