BPD to have annual training academy for citizens

Region filler image

The Bloomington Police Department will offer its annual Citizen’s Police Academy, which is aimed to help educate citizens on the nature of operations, techniques and goals of the BPD.

Citizen’s Academy takes place from 6 to 8:30 p.m. every Tuesday night from Sept. 6 through Nov. 15.

After graduation, those who have completed the 11-week course and received their certificates will be given an opportunity to ride with a BPD officer in a patrol car assignment.

Classes in the past have showcased the variety of training, techniques and situations BPD officers go through.

Past topics included dealing with domestic violence, firearm and self-defense training, drug enforcement, officer safety, patrol techniques and criminal investigations.

Participants in 2015 also learned first-hand how to dust for fingerprints and the role of evidence technicians from evidence technician Andy Cradick.

BPD staff will give the classes as a combination of lectures, seminars and hands-on activities, BPD Capt. Steve Kellams said.

Participants of the academy will also learn more about the judicial side of law 
enforcement and how cases proceed through the court system.

The course not only aims to educate citizens on the day-to-day affairs of the 
police department, but also to increase and motivate greater civic engagement.

This academy is a part of a continuing BPD effort to reach out to the community, to engage with its citizens and to educate people on the nature of its work.

The department’s efforts not only include the academy, but also other community engagement events, such as Pride Summerfest, where officers go into the community and answer questions and address concerns.

The program is similar to the more recent BPD Teen’s Academy, which was designed to introduce youth to the duties and work of law enforcement through hands on activities.

Also similar, but on a broader city scale, is the Bloomington Citizen Academy, which is an overview of city government and services and is also accepting applications.

The Citizen Police Academy is particular in its focus on law enforcement and the judicial process.

Class size for the academy is limited to 25 people, and participants must be at least 18 years old. There is no cost to participate in the program.

Applications will be 
accepted by the BPD until 4 p.m. Sept. 1. The online 
application form to apply for the class can be found on the City of Bloomington website, bloomington.in.gov, under the “Public Safety” and then “Police Department” sections.
 Applications can be submitted online to Capt. Kellams at 
kellamss@bloomington.in.gov and mailed or 
delivered in person to the station at 
220 E. Third St.

Background checks will be conducted for all applicants prior to acceptance into the academy program.