Zhu will headline 2016 Block Party

IU Block Party announced Zhu as its headlining act, with special guests Kiiara, MAX and Matsu, for its 2016 event.

The annual carnival and concert takes place Aug. 20, during Welcome Week. It is open to all students free of charge from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m., with doors opening for the concert at 
9 p.m.

Concert tickets cost $25 and can be purchased at go.iu.edu/blockparty.

Zhu, an electronic musician, record producer and singer, released his first track in February 2014. The song, titled “Moves Like Ms. Jackson,” was released anonymously.

Zhu remained anonymous for several months because he wanted to be judged by his music alone.

He might be most known for his song “Faded,” released in March 2014, which quickly climbed the global charts. It was also nominated for a Grammy.

In 2015, Zhu collaborated with Skrillex and THEY to produce “Working for It.” The track was certified platinum in Australia, reached the Top 40, and also made the U.S. Dance/Electronic chart.

Zhu is set to release his debut album “Generationwhy” at the end of July. His title track first premiered at Coachella 2016.

One of Zhu’s two opening acts, Kiiara, is a singer-songwriter from Illinois. An electronic pop musician, Kiiara released her hit song “Gold” in June 2015.

“Gold” was chosen as the background music for an Apple Watch commercial last year.

IU’s own Matsu, a DJ, will kick off the concert. According to his website, he “combines elements of turntablism and live production to create a unique, crowd-rocking sound.”

Matsu has opened for multiple national acts during his young 
career.

The concert coincides with a carnival that, in years past, has included free food, class carnival games and rides.

It takes places on the corner of Fee Lane and 13th Street, south of McNutt Residence Hall.